Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dima587
Topic Author

Military Pilot At Age 32?

Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:07 pm

I am currently at age 32, working as a civilian electrical engineer with a TS clearance at an Air Force base that primarily maintains F-16’s and plans to acquire a large number of F-35’s in the next few years. I passed the MEPS physical and have taken the AFOQT (Pilot 78, Navigator 70), TBAS, ASVAB (91), and am in the process of accumulating flight hours and possibly obtaining a PPL. Since my age is a big factor, what would be the fastest or most probable way to obtain training to fly a turbofan-powered aircraft with a thrust-to-weight ratio close to 1 in the front or back seat (CSO, WSO, pilot)? I am open to any path or branch (OTS, ROTC, Air Force, Navy, Air Guard, etc). Perhaps it’s possible to train as an enlisted RPA pilot then switch to manned aircraft, or go in as an engineer then switch to flight? Who are the most important people to impress (other pilots, commanders, recruiters)? I know UPT basics like the T-6 boldface, and some BFM (couters, turn-circle geometry, reversals). I am more than willing to put in the work, I just want to know where to focus it, or which branch of service. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

mmo

RE: Military Pilot At Age 32?

Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:15 pm

Quoting Dima587 (Thread starter):

I am currently at age 32,

The maximum age to enter USAF UPT is 30. Looks like you're too late.

thegman

Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:27 am

Quoting mmo (Reply 1):

The maximum age to enter USAF UPT is 30. Looks like you're too late.

Yep, and age waivers are really hard to come by. Strange that you know T-6 boldface though

neutronstar73

Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:05 pm

Unless you are prior service (i.e. prior enlisted or officer) I think you ability to get an age waiver is zero. And I think to even enter now as an officer (you can go enlisted I think) you are a 5 years down the line at this point, unless you enter as a medical doctor or something (since that is a specialized field with a long educational requirement).

But, sorry, I don't think being a military pilot is a viable option for you.

DeltaMD90

Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:40 pm

Yeah unfortunately, I think you are too old, even if you were prior enlisted. I know of no such waiver or way around that

Quoting Dima587 (Thread starter):
Perhaps it’s possible to train as an enlisted RPA pilot then switch to manned aircraft, or go in as an engineer then switch to flight?

This I highly doubt. It may seem like a logical progression but it's really not. I could be wrong but I think the two different ways the branches handle it is either 1: manned and unmanned are totally separate from each other and there is no real transfer between the two or 2: unmanned operators require the same training as pilots and you are already over that age limit.

I may be fuzzy on that last part but I am pretty certain you will have no luck with the military due to your age, unfortunately. Like I said, they give enlisted guys a few extra years but I haven't heard of any waivers beyond that, let alone for a non-prior enlisted guy

UPS757Pilot

Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:45 am

Check with the Air National Guard. They have hired folks over 30, worth a shot...

Kiwirob

Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:17 pm

Don't the USAF have a large pilot shortage?

covert

Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:00 pm

The Army will take you up until age 33. They fly helicopters and a few airplanes. No fighters though.

angad84

Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:02 pm

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 6):
Don't the USAF have a large pilot shortage?

Might not be dire enough yet for them to start bending the rules...

Cheers
Angad

KICT

Re: Military Pilot At Age 32?

Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:23 am

In my opinion, anyone over 30 trying to be a pilot and who has no prior military service - good luck.