estorilm

Re: Stratolaunch‘s Carrier Aircraft Production

Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:03 pm

parapente wrote:
Good spot.But weather does not look great.But any time next week will do!
Even if it ends up as the Worlds largest water bomber it would be fun ( California seems to need it these days).
Reading around the subject there does seem to be more than a whiff of the US military being interested as an instant response 'anywhere' sat' launcher.

I don't think it's even remotely capable of conducting any sort of maneuver that would be required by a water bomber. IMHO structural integrity (not so much overall lifting strength, but inherent weakness with the unsupported twin fuselage design) is going to limit this thing to a single specific task. I think she's forever going to be a straight/level (and zero turbulence) air frame.

At the end of the day, I still like the Spruce Goose analogy. It will likely be equally as epic to see her take to the skies though.

parapente

Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:26 pm

Fair comment.

parapente

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:54 am

https://spacenews.com/stratolaunch-aban ... e-program/

As the title says they have abandoned building their own air launched rocket.Now relying only on a small and expensive rocket that is already air launched nad has never gained traction in the marketplace ( launching 3 won't make it better if anything less flexible).
But yet...They continue with the Stratolaunch development.Achieving first Flight must be very close indeed.
But why?
It may be in their founders will ' of wishes' which is known to exist.
Some others say the US military are involved in this programme so they can 'instantly' launch a small spy satellite whenever/wherever necessary.Its possible I suppose.
But other than that it's an answer without a question.Hard to know what else it could be used for.
Any suggestions?

tapairbus370

Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:56 pm

The same information as the previous thread but in a different article.
It has a photo with the front wheels up during the high speed taxi test,

http://www.geekwire.com/2019/stratolaun ... R8fUdqe54c

EBJ68

Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:37 am

It certainly appears the focus is now on the launch vehicle rather than producing vehicles to be launched. That seems to be the way the article pointed. If that's the case and the first example proves dependable and flexible in terms of the kinds of vehicles that can be launched, it "might" open the door to further examples being built.

parapente

Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:23 am

Sorry to disagree.Whether it flies or not is somewhat immaterial if there is no ( Spruce Goose) market for it.I have been correctly corrected that it would not have the manoeuvrability to become a giagintic waterbomber ( which CA increasingly need). Can't think ( other than the summonsed military use) of what you would do with such an aircraft sadly.
If one is 'simply' lobbing' up the occasional small sat' one airacft is more than enough.Actually not sure they ever envisaged building more than one the way they built it.
Could be an oversized 'spare' for Richard Brandon's project I suppose,both built by the same people I believe.

DarkKnight5

Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:52 pm

parapente wrote:
Sorry to disagree.Whether it flies or not is somewhat immaterial if there is no ( Spruce Goose) market for it.I have been correctly corrected that it would not have the manoeuvrability to become a giagintic waterbomber ( which CA increasingly need). Can't think ( other than the summonsed military use) of what you would do with such an aircraft sadly.
If one is 'simply' lobbing' up the occasional small sat' one airacft is more than enough.Actually not sure they ever envisaged building more than one the way they built it.
Could be an oversized 'spare' for Richard Brandon's project I suppose,both built by the same people I believe.

I suppose it depends on how much ground clearance you have for cargo. Can’t find many reliable specs. Perhaps it could be used for rocket transport. Moving Falcons from Hawthorne to TX to Florida or Falcon Heavy components. For that matter maybe it could transport Delta or Atlas/Vulcan rockets. It would cost a lot more than current transport methods, but maybe it would be less headache and certainly faster than a truck over land or a bardge through Panama.

parapente

Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:32 am

That's a lateral thought.Hope it finds a use.I guess the fact that they appear to want to see it fly suggests they see it having a use.Just find it hard seeing they will use that little rocket.It already launches perfectly well off a Tristar ( which I imagine is cheaper too).
Regarding RB.It seems his tourist rocket is somewhat vertically challenged not making the Karman line.Perhaps this aircraft could give him an extra 10k feet altitude on T/O .Would make a hell of a difference overall.

LightningZ71

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:43 am

The TriStar won't be flying for a whole lot longer. That airframe has a lot of age and parts for that frame are getting hard to come by. I suspect that this can find some business covering for that platform.

I still think that they need to make a large cargo pod for it so that it can be used for moving outsized cargo in addition to rocket launches.

Tugger

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:41 am

LightningZ71 wrote:
I still think that they need to make a large cargo pod for it so that it can be used for moving outsized cargo in addition to rocket launches.

Cargo would be great but I think it won't work. It is too limited in the facilities that it can work on:
385' wingspan
Fuselage/landing gear width of over 100' (can't find the exact dimension)
And a working runaway length of 12,000'

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

DarkKnight5

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:33 am

Tugger wrote:
LightningZ71 wrote:

Cargo would be great but I think it won't work. It is too limited in the facilities that it can work on:
385' wingspan

Tugg

That’s why I think the only viable cargo is out-sized stuff that can move more quickly theough the air than on the ground. If they can fly with an F9 booster (or atlas/Vulcan /delta) from Cali go TX to FL they might have a use for the plane. If the length of those booster stage makes it impossible, then this thing has no practical use at all.

Noshow

Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:52 am

Is there any status update about their first flight available please? Their tweet is quiet for a month now after those high speed taxi tests. Anything happening right now?

Aesma

Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:33 pm

DarkKnight5 wrote:
parapente wrote:

I suppose it depends on how much ground clearance you have for cargo. Can’t find many reliable specs. Perhaps it could be used for rocket transport. Moving Falcons from Hawthorne to TX to Florida or Falcon Heavy components. For that matter maybe it could transport Delta or Atlas/Vulcan rockets. It would cost a lot more than current transport methods, but maybe it would be less headache and certainly faster than a truck over land or a bardge through Panama.

If a rocket isn't made to be transported like that then its structure wouldn't resist being hanged by the middle.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

DarkKnight5

Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:27 pm

Aesma wrote:
DarkKnight5 wrote:
parapente wrote:

If a rocket isn't made to be transported like that then its structure wouldn't resist being hanged by the middle.

Fair point. Just spitballing ideas to come up with a use for this thing.

WIederling

Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:33 pm

Tugger wrote:
385' wingspan

ex WP:EN: Range: 1,000 nmi (1,151 mi; 1,852 km) radius[24]

stumbled over a predecessor design:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conroy_Virtus
Murphy is an optimist

estorilm

Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:36 pm

Noshow wrote:
Is there any status update about their first flight available please? Their tweet is quiet for a month now after those high speed taxi tests. Anything happening right now?

Par for the course - really worried about this thing getting scrapped at this point. :(

Maybe she takes off to set a record... but I think her commercial case is closed, hence the DRAMATICALLY slowed rate of testing. I still think they either discovered a catastrophic design issue and/or it just doesn't save enough $$ at a given payload to justify the program any longer. Lips sealed for PR and investor/legal reasons.

Noshow

Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:02 am

Still hoping for the best and first flight. They seem to have reduced their staff significantly. Not a good sign during first flight preparations.

Noshow

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:15 pm

Good news. Looks like they do taxi tests again.

wezgulf3

Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:39 pm

She flies!!

DarkKnight5

Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:58 pm

wezgulf3 wrote:
She flies!!

Video: http://youtu.be/XfUy21HHtME

Still not sure it will ever carry something that will launch into space but hey, flight.

JetBuddy

Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:31 pm

Congrats Stratolaunch! What a milestone.

zanl188

Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:16 pm

Congrats!

Hopefully it will fly a complete test program and then move to something useful.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

Gonzalo

Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:27 am

Nice !! And not very relevant but yet interesting, from now on the world’s largest aircraft has a US flag instead the russian one. Will be weird to see the An-225 as ”just another big plane” but not the biggest.
Gear Up!!: DC-3 / EMB-110 / FH-227 / A318-19-20-21 / B732 / B763 / B789 / B788 / A343 / ATR72-600

Ozair

Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:20 am

This thread needs a picture!

Nomadd

Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:16 am

Gonzalo wrote:
Nice !! And not very relevant but yet interesting, from now on the world’s largest aircraft has a US flag instead the russian one. Will be weird to see the An-225 as ”just another big plane” but not the biggest.

It's not even close to being as large as a 225 in anything but wingspan.

c933103

Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:28 am

Gonzalo wrote:

Antonov is not Russian anyway....

curlyheadboy

Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:58 am

Impressive!
It just looked a little clumsy on landing touching down on the right gear and then the whole left fuselage coming down on the runway.
If God had wanted men to fly he would have given them more money...

chornedsnorkack

Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:57 am

Gonzalo wrote:

An-225 never was the biggest plane. Stratolaunch is the first plane in 72 years to be bigger than Hercules, also an US plane. What was the biggest plane before the first (and only) flight of Hercules?

UA947

Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:17 am

chornedsnorkack wrote:
An-225 never was the biggest plane.

Although the Spruce Goose is higher and has a bigger wingspan than the An-225, the latter is over 17 meters longer. So, which is bigger?

chornedsnorkack

Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:08 am

UA947 wrote:
chornedsnorkack wrote:

Although the Spruce Goose is higher and has a bigger wingspan than the An-225, the latter is over 17 meters longer. So, which is bigger?

Stratolauch is also shorter than An-225.

Nomadd

Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:17 am

UA947 wrote:
chornedsnorkack wrote:

I never considered the Goose a real airplane because it never got above ground effect level.

zanl188

Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:53 am

Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

flyingturtle

Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:37 pm

zanl188 wrote:

Wow! That thing is from another world...

Landing Checklist
--------------------------

Touch down left or right of runway centerline......... determine
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

hmmwv

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:13 pm

I wish Paul had lived to see this day!

HaveBlue

Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:30 pm

chornedsnorkack wrote:
Gonzalo wrote:

An-225 never was the biggest plane. Stratolaunch is the first plane in 72 years to be bigger than Hercules, also an US plane. What was the biggest plane before the first (and only) flight of Hercules?

The 'largest' plane is always defined by max weight. The An-225 is the heaviest plane in the world, so it is the largest. The C-5 is longer than the An-124 so I didn't like it not being the 'largest' back in the day but the weight defines the largest, which makes sense in a way as in you can't have a 300' F-104 and say its the largest. The An-225 was at 1.3 million pounds but then so was the A380 but they strengthened the Antonov and at 1.4 million pounds it is the champ, like it or not.

starrion

Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:33 pm

So what's next for this thing? It's been in the test phase for some time. With SpaceX going gangbusters, is there even a market for air launched rockets?
Knowledge Replaces Fear

Tugger

Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:10 pm

starrion wrote:
So what's next for this thing? It's been in the test phase for some time. With SpaceX going gangbusters, is there even a market for air launched rockets?

Actually there is. But I doubt it is big enough yet to support this project.
It really depends on what Mr. Allen left for the project. If he left funding for this and also development of the market etc. then it may survive. I have not heard anything as to what is supported.

The Pegasus system could use it but currently uses an L1011 and I doubt the Stratolaunch is cheaper than that but who knows.

I am hopeful but doubtful.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

Nomadd

Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:34 pm

HaveBlue wrote:
chornedsnorkack wrote:
Gonzalo wrote:

The 'largest' plane is always defined by max weight. The An-225 is the heaviest plane in the world, so it is the largest. The C-5 is longer than the An-124 so I didn't like it not being the 'largest' back in the day but the weight defines the largest, which makes sense in a way as in you can't have a 300' F-104 and say its the largest. The An-225 was at 1.3 million pounds but then so was the A380 but they strengthened the Antonov and at 1.4 million pounds it is the champ, like it or not.

That's nonsense. Size and weight are two different things. A dust spec made out of neutron star material would weigh more than a 225, but nobody would call it larger.