Max Q

Re: KC-46 Production, Testing And Delivery

Thu May 24, 2018 8:49 am

Revelation wrote:
Max Q wrote:
The KC135 has a hatch on the lower left forward fuselage that allows the crew to board independently of any external stairs

Is there any provision for this in the KC46, perhaps through the E&E compartment?

In http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/01/news/co ... index.html good old Jon Ostrower wrote:

The crew ascends through a hatch underneath the jet's nose and is flying in 10 minutes. No stairs needed.

So the answer is yes, but I couldn't find a more detailed reference.

He can be reached via Twitter @jonostrower if you want to ask him for more info.

This article also states ‘a single button on the exterior of the aircraft can be used to
power up systems’

Allowing for journalistic license I’d guess
this is to start the APU ?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

bikerthai

Thu May 24, 2018 1:43 pm

My mistake, the cut-way was for the KC767A @

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/472878029602068091

The KC-46 would have a similar nose configuration. I suspect the KC-46 cut-way would not be available, until they are fully operational.

bt
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.

LMP737

Thu May 24, 2018 11:35 pm

Max Q wrote:

This article also states ‘a single button on the exterior of the aircraft can be used to
power up systems’

Allowing for journalistic license I’d guess
this is to start the APU ?

That would be correct.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

7BOEING7

Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:41 pm

Stitch

Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:56 pm

The contract was for 18 KC-46A and 9 pods in October so the question is will the USAF waive penalties for the extended delivery timeframe.

kanban

Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:06 am

Stitch wrote:
The contract was for 18 KC-46A and 9 pods in October so the question is will the USAF waive penalties for the extended delivery timeframe.

If Boeing gets itself together, they could do 2 or more a day or one every other day and meet the contract,, now if the AF can't accept them that fast, that's another issue

par13del

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:09 pm

If they have not waived any other penalties why start now, however, I agree with Kanban, Boeing should accelerate delivery, if the Air Force cannot accept then a serious discussion can be had about lowering the penalties. Boeing has rightly eaten cost overruns, they have a number of frames in various conditions around the field, now that they have a firm date in relation to frames already built and some tested (versus design) they should crack some whips and get them out ASAP, let the Air Force park them at an Airbase until they have sufficient trained crews to operate the a/c.

LMP737

Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:23 am

kanban wrote:
If Boeing gets itself together, they could do 2 or more a day or one every other day and meet the contract,, now if the AF can't accept them that fast, that's another issue

It's a moot point on whether or not the USAF could accept them that fast. Boeing quite frankly would not be able to deliver them that fast even if they did get all their ducks in a row.

Slug71

Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:53 am

LMP737 wrote:
kanban wrote:

It's a moot point on whether or not the USAF could accept them that fast. Boeing quite frankly would not be able to deliver them that fast even if they did get all their ducks in a row.

There should be least 35+ completed frames hanging around already. Including the development frames and at least one LRIP 3 frame. I imagine they (non flying flames) will soon be going for paint and engine fit.

LMP737

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:38 am

Slug71 wrote:

There should be least 35+ completed frames hanging around already. Including the development frames and at least one LRIP 3 frame. I imagine they (non flying flames) will soon be going for paint and engine fit.

If it were only as simple as painting and installing the engines. With all the wiring changes the program has gone through I would venture to say that quite a few of those frames still need them to be incorporated. Which is manpower and time intensive.

kanban

Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:35 am

Remember they only have to pick the 18 frames that are the easiest to deliver.. then set a schedule for the next 18 in 2019

Slug71

Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:35 pm

And at least 7 are already flying. I imagine at least some of the frames sitting around have been updated with fixes/improvements along the way. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see how productive the next 4 months are.