Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sturmovik

RE: Recommended Good Read Library

Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:15 am

Quoting rc135x (Reply 49):
Although slightly dated Howard Moon's "Soviet SST: The Techno-Politics of the Tupolev 144" is excellent and is easily available at deeply discounted prices. It covers both the airplane and its evolution in Soviet airline context.

Thanks for that, will try and read it.  

cjg225

Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:59 am

Thanks to those posting about good books. And thanks to Amazon.com for having a bunch!

I purchased copies of Tomcat!: The Grumman F-14 Story by Paul Gilcrist, mentioned above, and also Grumman F-14 Tomcat: Bye - bye baby: Images and Reminiscences from 35 Years of Active Service. Both look to be phenomenal books. I can't wait to start reading them. The second one is more just anecdotes and pictures, but the Gilcrist book is actually, well... a cover-to-cover history book. Really pleased with both purchases already. They'll be the last books I purchase for awhile, as I think it's about time for me to dig deep into my massive book collection and start re-reading some of my favorite books.

alberchico

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:40 am

Groover158

Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:13 pm

Here are my favourite trio of reference books, great pictures and a great amount of very detailed information on these amazing aircraft:

http://www.amazon.com/Hypersonic-Sto...y/dp/1580071317/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_6

http://www.amazon.com/Magnesium-Over...80924063&sr=1-1&keywords=magnesium overcast

http://www.amazon.com/Valkyrie-North...380924284&sr=1-9&keywords=valkyrie xb-70

I know I said trio, but had to include this fantastic book as well, it contains an amazing amount of information:

http://www.amazon.com/Space-Shuttle-...4363&sr=1-3&keywords=space+shuttle

Max Q

Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:11 am

'Winged Victory' by VM Yeates.

This book was printed in 1934, it is a story of one Pilot, in a Sopwith Camel Squadron and his combat experiences in WW1.

It is so well written and moving it is as good as it gets.

spudh
Topic Author

Re: Recommended Good Read Library

Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:28 am

I 've been meaning to resurrect this thread for a while. With the big turnover in members over the last few years a lot of these books will be new to some and a refresh to some of the greyer members.

I'll add two more recommended reads:

'Roger Ball' by Donald E. Auten ISBN 978-1-60528-005-9
It's a biography about John Monroe "Hawk" Smith who was a TOPGUN instructor. Really good read for any F-14 buff.
His retelling of stories and tactical battles from Red Flag engagements are the stuff of F-14 fanboy dreams.

One of my most treasured books is 'Flying to the Limit, testing world war 2 single-engined fighter aircraft '. By Peter Caygill ISBN 1-84415-226-x
The book details the testing by the Royal Aircraft Establishment of most of the British, German and American fighters in the European theatre.
For someone raised on top trumps I've always delved deep into specs of fighters and was always frustrated at the lack of comparison between each of the fighters from various countries. Well this book puts a lot of that to bed with direct performance comparisons between all the main protagonists of WW2.
A vital book for those with the temerity to offer a view in the 'what was the best fighter of WW2' debates that spring up every so often, not that facts should get in the way of a long held opinion!

spudh
Topic Author

Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:33 am

Recommended by Kewals in another thread :

If you are after SR-71 book, Sled Driver has very good photos but I would not rate it top overall at all I'm afraid. For overall overview from insider point of view plus technical insights how to actually fly it, my top pick is Rich Graham SR-71 Revealed The inside story (little pictures, a lot of text). To see more historian approach to the Blackbird programme it has to be the "bible" Paul Crickmore Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird. Beyond the secret mission - loved the details of the flights from Kadena.
Another gem for me is From rainbow to gusto by Paul Suhler - this is specifically stealth development history of U-2 and Blackbird in the late 50's and early 60's - so not a programme overview, but it is fascinating to see how they developed and tested the ideas at the beginning of the stealth journey.
I also enjoyed immensely Skunk Works by Ben Rich - not Blackbird specific but the way Ben tells the story is great

Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:03 pm

I thought I saw the TU-144 book available again recently on Pitstop Bookstore in Australia. They normally deal with Car/motorsport related books but do have aviation stuff too.

I read The Quick and the Dead, from Bill Waterton, a reproduction of the 1950s vintage book on post WW2 test flying. It was very nicely written, funny and sobering at the same time. Anyone who has worked in a big organisation will nod knowingly at many of the organisational squabbles he writes about.