Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LY744
Topic Author

Windsor Airshow

Tue Aug 21, 2001 3:16 am

The annual Windsor Airshow will be held this thursday, August 23rd at the Windsor Airport. The gates open at 1500, the show starts at 1630.
The highlight of the show is going to be the snowbirds' performance.
I don't know much more about the show, since they don't have a website, and the official program hasn't been released, yet. Last year the show featured aerial displays by a CF-18B, F-117A, several impressive civilian acts, and several WW1 replicas. The ground show included a KC-135.
Last years show was held on the weekend, the shorter show this year probably means that the organizers have less money, which will probably make for a boring airshow (especially when compared to this years London Airshow and Balloon Festival).
Anyone planning to attend? (At this point I'm not 100% sure I'll go).

LY744.

RE: Windsor Airshow

Tue Aug 21, 2001 5:11 pm

Watch for Ken Pietch with his Interstate Kadet doing the "woody" performance. Its funny as hell, I saw him in YXX, so he might be up in Windsor for the airshow.

LY744
Topic Author

RE: Windsor Airshow Report

Fri Aug 24, 2001 9:31 am

I decided to go to the show, despite the relatively small show this year.
The aerial display lasted for 2 hours (1630-1830), as promissed.
The show began with the Skyhwawks, a military sky diving team, 12 (4 at a time) members of the team jumped from the back of the CC-115 Buffalo (number 452). After that, the Buffalo made several passes over the runway and performed a very impressive short landing. The aircraft used only about 800 feet of the runway! After that the CC-115 proceded to perform a short TO, which took up significantly more runway length than the landing, but was also very impressive, never the less. The Buffalo was followed by CH-113 Labrador which performed several manouveres and a demonstration of its SAR capabilities.
Next on the list were the Snowbirds, who were deffinetely the highlight of the show.
The CP-140 Aurora also performed several passes over the runway, including one with its gear and flaps down and its bomb (torpedo) bay open. After that the Aurora continued directly to its base in Nova Scotia.
Last on the list were 3 Harvards performing their aerobatic routine.
The show this year wasn't as impressive as this year's London airshow and not as good as last year's Windsor Airshow, but I certainly enjoyed it. I decided not to pass on an opportunity to get inside the Airport and to see some a/c and airport crash trucks.

LY744.

424_sq

Fri Aug 24, 2001 12:26 pm

It is always worth it to pop by and see an airshow no matter what the size. You never know what might be hiding in a hangar or around the airport. Plus, small shows make it easier to take unobstucted photos and talk to the aircrew as well.

In just a few years you probably won't be able to see most of the aircraft you mentioned flying, including the Snowbirds!

LY744
Topic Author

Fri Aug 24, 2001 11:00 pm

So true, 424_sq!
Probably the best picture I got at the airshow was that of a Skylink Cessna Caravan parked on the grass near the improvised parking lot (it wasn't part of the show).
And I forgot to mention in my report the fact that a couple of Air Ontario's Dash-8's "performed" as well.  Smile

LY744.