Sat Jul 28, 2001 8:21 am

Combat Craft (Numbers uncertain)
Mix of Russian

Mig 25, 29,23 21

Su 22 & 25

French

Mirage F.1

Other aircraft include Chinese F7

Unknown transport fleet, large helicoptor force mix of SA342,SA321, SA330,AlouetteIII, Mil Mi 8 & 17, Bo-105

List above is not complete other posters may have more details and can prehaps detail numbers in use and other units.

RE: Iraq Air Force

Sat Jul 28, 2001 10:17 am

how did they get french planes

LY744

Sat Jul 28, 2001 10:53 am

I believe the French sold the a/c to them! Just like they did with that nuclear reactor they built in the Iraqi desert (the one that was destroyed in 1981).
Also, the Iraqi AF operates(d) Mi-24's, and, I believe, SU-24's.

LY744.

Whistler

Sat Jul 28, 2001 1:25 pm

Iraq used to be the Western worlds best friend back in the 80s when they had a war with Iran. Several AMERICAN companies sold Iraq the components needing to build biological and chemical weapons.

Sat Jul 28, 2001 1:56 pm

why don't the western nations destroy iraq's high tech planes. it is not in the the worlds best intrest for them to have them

Whistler

Sat Jul 28, 2001 2:14 pm

They already did. I dont think Iraq has ANY Mig-29s left. The few planes they do have left are hardly ever allowed to fly and are baking in the sun most of the time.

GDB

Sat Jul 28, 2001 8:21 pm

When the allies started destroying the 'bombproof' hardened shelters for Saddam's airforce in 1991, his best aircraft, including all the SU-24's fled to Iran. They never returned, some may have been incorprated into the Iranian air force. Others used for spares.
Given the drubbing that the few Iraqi mig's that made it into the air in 1991 received, unlikely they are a threat now. Many airforce commanders and pilots were executed by Hussain, others defected.
Hence the efforts by Iraq to shoot down US and RAF aircraft with SAM's only. They got close to a U2 last week.

LY744

Sat Jul 28, 2001 10:17 pm

Iran was the western worlds "best friend" until the late 70's when they had the revolution. The Iranian AF operates F-4's, F-14's, AH-1's and many more US made weapons. If the revolution would have happened six months later, the Iranians would have also had a bunch of F-16A/B's. Nowadays, the Iranians have a lot of trouble maintaining those a/c since they can't get spare parts from the US. They are producing some spare parts locally, also, over the years they made a lot of modifications of their own to their US built equipment.
As far as Iraq's relationship with the west goes, well, they have always been pretty loyal to the Soviet Union, the French did supply them with military hardware during the 70's and the early 80's. Examples of that co-operation would be the nuclear reactor and the Mirage F-1's (it is believed they can be used to deliver chemical and biological weapons). American companies deffinetely supplied Iraq with a lot equipment and the technology needed to produce chemical and biological weapons, but I don't think it reflected the official policy of the United State.
I believe the Iraqi AF has some MiG-29's left, a few years ago Iraq was trying to get Russia to modernize their MiG-29's (they must have some, right?).

LY744.

fireblade

Sun Jul 29, 2001 12:17 am

i don't know how much mig-29 iraq has previous but i heard that nato shut down only few of them
and there isn't easy to destroy them on ground friend of mine an engineer who worked in iraq told me about the big underground bunkers & bases

Whistler

Sun Jul 29, 2001 1:46 am

Nato? Desert Storm was a UN operation, not Nato. And they destroyed pretty much the entire Iraqi Air Force and Army.

LY744

Sun Jul 29, 2001 3:34 am

There were 5 MiG-29 shot down (all by USAF F-15's with AIM-7's) during "Desert Storm". As was mentioned before a very significant part of the Iraqi AF simply flew to Iran.
In fact, the Iraqi AF a/c flew only a few missions during the war. They were trying to protect them by putting them in their Europen-built bunkers (those were designed to survive a near miss of a nuclear bomb!), but the BLU-109 was able to penetrate them, so after a few days they started "moving" their AF to Iran. Apparantley some a/c survived the war without escaping to Iran.
Iraq still has a lot of military equipment, including thousands of tanks, artillery, APC's, SAM's (primarily SA-2's and SA-3's, possibly some SA-6's), AAA's etc.

LY744.

Whistler

Sun Jul 29, 2001 9:26 am

All the planes that survived in Iran are now part of the Iranian Air Force, I don't think Saddam will see them again any time soon Big grin.

LY744

Sun Jul 29, 2001 11:14 am

Unless the Iranian decide to use them against Iraq!!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

LY744.

fireblade

RE: Whistler

Mon Jul 30, 2001 1:59 am

it was under un castity but un doesn't has air force
so actually us planes kicked sadam's army

GDB

Mon Jul 30, 2001 3:51 am

Saddam's army was kicked from the air by the United States Air Force, United States Navy, United States Marine Corps, US Army Aviation, The Royal Air Force, Royal Army Air Corps, French Air Force, French Army Aviation, Royal Saudi Air Force, Free Kuwait AF (escaped A4's based in Saudi), Royal Canadian Air Force-these forces undertook direct bomb-dropping missions, other allied forces provided support aircraft.

fireblade

Mon Jul 30, 2001 5:39 am

yes but usaf do the most of the job europe is still
not enaphe strong and equipment to make the job herself and europe still is addicted too much for the usa military power
example
yugoslavia air campaign

GDB

Mon Jul 30, 2001 6:14 am

If the large Luftwaffe Tornado force had been legally allowed to operate outside NATO in 1991, the discrepancy would not have been so great. I apologise for omitting the Italian AF contribution from my previous post.
In Yugoslavia, the rules of engagement resticting the allied aircraft to high-level bombing, tactically favoured the USAF. Even so, the A-10s would have found this very restricting.
The RAF would have got better results, and flown more sorties, if low-level bombing had been allowed from the start.