Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lehpron
Topic Author

Ultimate Kill Detection

Thu Jul 19, 2001 3:33 am

I guess it's obvious I don't know much about the military and stuff -- I hate it -- I'm into the aircraft's specific shape and design, not the patriotic philosophy and details of warfare.

I might have said before that I've been drawing since I was 5, but they were airliners. Fighters/Bombers got my interest when I got the Janes ATF combat simulator; now I'm a Lt. Col. with 14 awards.

In the game there’s Radar, IR, and laser-guided weapons. At air shows, I've noticed that some planes have different and similar sounds based not on engine alone, but the drag of motion (I'm hypersensitive.) From this stuff and others I came up with a hypothesis.

I think it's possible to detect, track, pursue, engage and destroy an aircraft based on the sound it makes in the air.

Yes the it would have to filter through A LOT of background noise, it may even be bulky, but it could work.

Radar filters through thousand of frequencies when it's not known and our human ears can detect faint changes on volume as well.

It might work...maybe...I donno

Lehpron

jwenting

RE: Ultimate Kill Detection

Thu Jul 19, 2001 3:58 am

It would work, but only at extremely short range. Sound gets distorted even more easily than does light which effectively limits the range of optical (visual as well as IR and UV) systems to about 10 miles under most circumstances (though the F-14s camera is rumoured to have a 100 mile range at high altitude).

There have in fact been some systems along these lines, used for extreme close range backup to other tracking systems. I think the Russians had something along the lines.

flyf15

Thu Jul 19, 2001 7:29 am

A problem with sound detection is how slow sound travels. The aircraft could very easily be quite a far distance from where the sound is comming from when it gets to you. And, if flying towards the station supersonically, you would not be able to be detected at all.

fightingfalcon

Fri Jul 20, 2001 4:48 am

Isn't this exactly how the sonar in submarines works?
But as said above it's too difficult to use in the air.

Martin

zionstrat

Fri Jul 20, 2001 5:46 am

It's been ages since I've read anything on this, but audio detection was relatively common during WW2 and simply faded when radar took over-

One of the most famous posts was in China with the Flying Tigers- Networks of spotters and listeners would telegraph reports to a central location and Japanese bomber and fighter flights could be plotted and intercepted- Apparently the Japanese never found a way to fool such a comprehensive network.

The Russians had a similar system that was actually used to predict the German invasion by an hour or so (shades of radar at Pearl Harbor). The Russian in charge of the network realized that his listeners were reporting sounds that could only be explained by a German airwave, however he was ignored by superiors who chose to believe that the Germans would not attack.

Last but not least, I think I remember that the Germans had a photography and listening base in France (maybe Calais?) that actually could see and hear Dover- They have pictures of the radar installations there taken all the way across the north sea- I don't know if this listening post actually worked, but others clearly did in the days before radar.

I think it died because EM waves are far more focused and longer range than sound- I believe the difference with Sonar is that water is a much denser medium than air, so sound carries much farther.

redskin

Fri Jul 20, 2001 10:54 am

If you can get it to home in on Michael Jackson music i will donate money to it's fabrication