Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

galaxy5
Topic Author

C-5

Mon Jul 09, 2001 12:20 am

this is what happens when maintenance tows your plane into a tree ( a rather large oak tree )

Duce50Boom

RE: C-5

Mon Jul 09, 2001 12:56 am

nice job. i thought it was bad when a reserve crew taxied a -10 into a fire bottle at yokota a few months ago (and about a week ago), but your guys got the cake. where is that by the way? and how do you post personal pictures onto posts?

Duce50Boom

Mon Jul 09, 2001 2:40 am

excuse me that was misawa, and a few weeks ago we had a jet run into a stand and drop it on the marshaller, not another fire extinguisher.

Mon Jul 09, 2001 3:50 am

Yep, I saw those photos last week on the Loadmaster's web site.

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/loadmasters

galaxy5
Topic Author

Mon Jul 09, 2001 4:36 am

it wasnt a flight crew, it was a maintenance team towing the aircraft that did the damage. the crew was in crew rest.

c17loadmstr

Mon Jul 09, 2001 9:26 am

The C-17 had a problem with fire bottles a few years back. The same active duty sqdn @ CHS hit a bottle within two days of one another. One at CHS and the other at Henry Post AAF.

Tue Jul 10, 2001 10:47 am

Yeah, that was a bad deal too. Hate to be the crew that ran over those fire bottles. Wasn't that your unit, C17loadmstr?

Heh heh......not that it matters!!

BTW, Galaxy5, we are up at the high 90's again. That article you were talking about was written when the fleet had some problems with incomplete TCTO's. They're flying the ass off the jets tho.

Load Clear!

Duce50Boom

Tue Jul 10, 2001 11:33 am

my last post was once again incomplete ( ((-) ). a mcguire -10 once again ran into another fire bottle last week. this has been a really sh-tty month for quagmire jets, especially for the -141's. they've got some big problems over there

and for you loadmasters who say 'load clear' on their posts...... NKAWTG!! NYEH!  Smile

Tue Jul 10, 2001 12:24 pm

Heh, that "Load Clear" stuff is somewhat annoying.

chdmcmanus

Tue Jul 10, 2001 11:11 pm

D50B, especially for the -141's. they've got some big problems over there , please elaborate; except for hitting a deer in JUN, the KC-10's are topping the list again.

As for "Load Clear", "All Clear" and NKWTGSAWTG or whatever, remember THE JET CAN FLY WITHOUT YOU!!. So how do you like me now, eh?

Regards,
ChD  Smokin cool

galaxy5
Topic Author

Wed Jul 11, 2001 12:20 am

you mean this article.

Wed Jul 11, 2001 10:38 am

Nope....that article is dealing with old issues that have all been resolved. Yeah, we had a lot of problems in the past couple of years, almost all of which have been resolved. Most of the individual items listed in the article have very little to do with the reliability, overall, and missions still flew. I'd like to know how they justified figures as low as 37.5% to 64.3%. I honestly have never seen THAT many jets on the ground at any given point. Everyone listed in the article as well, seems to be in the testing divisions, and not AMC, and at the time (FY2000) there was as yet, no depot for the airframe fully operational. I'm feeling a little yellow journalism and numbers inflation going on in this one.

**Not saying LOAD CLEAR**

heh heh heh

JohnM

Wed Jul 11, 2001 12:30 pm

I got the word that the flying crew chief was the culprit with the wing strike during the tow. That is not maintenance, that is a group of people who are encourged to do something if they are qualified or not. Just a "make it happen" type of operation. Who knows what the career field was of who screwed that jet up. As you can tell, I am not a big fan of the FCC system. I have had to fix some FCC attempted fixes while the plane was off station, and some of them are very scary. Also trying to explain something on the DSN to somebody who has no idea of what I'm talking about is like some kind of Mil-Spec TV game show! I know from first hand knowledge of FCC's attempting to swap CADC's in flight for example. I was taught if you want to take a stab at something, try it on your car if you want, but don't do things to airplanes that you THINK you can do. Only do things you are current and qualified to do.

chdmcmanus

Wed Jul 11, 2001 2:14 pm

Wow JohnM, spoken like a true box-swapper. I'm pretty sure a -5 tow isn't a one-man operation; so don't be so quick to dish the blame. As far as FCC's go, there are two types, those that move the mission, and those who get fired. I don't know if you've finished your 7-level, but mx management imparts a necessity of understanding the safety - mission balance beam. It may seem cut and dry, but if you understand the system, you will see it is just shades of gray. Mission completion is not based on perfecting safety but rather minimizing risk to an acceptable level. Hence the MEL and FCC. I’m sure we all have stories of an occasional idiot, but by acting in a "legalistic" or broadband cut-and-dry world, you simply reduce mission efficiency without actually decreasing risk by adding additional adverse factors to ORM levels. As rotary-wing maintenance this is something you should definitely understand, due to an increased sensitivity to operational risk, if I remember correctly, rotors crash a lot more often than airlifters.

Regards,
ChD

JohnM

Wed Jul 11, 2001 10:46 pm

Chdmcnanus, yes I do put out some acidic comments, but I've been in the business for 25 years now. And I am guilty as charged of being a box swapper! Of course that 7 level thing happened more than 20 years ago. And I've seen some good FCC/APG troops and some bad ones just like you. I think it is very easy for some of the younger guys to get leaned on and cut corners and take chances. I know I've done it many times in the past with good results, but lady luck might have been on my side. I guess getting older makes me less prone to take chances, and I don't get worried if the plane does not make an on time. Take care, John

Wed Jul 11, 2001 11:26 pm

I must say this, during my 8 years as a loadmaster I flew with a lot of great crew chiefs and only a handful of bad ones. The great ones really worked their butts off, and always kept the crew informed. Personally, I was glad we had a crew chief aboard when entering places like Lagos and N'Djamena.... but I wish they hadn't been on for the trips to Antigua and Helsinki.  Big grin

Mike