Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sterne82
Topic Author

Czech Republic New Fighter...

Sun Jun 10, 2001 7:01 am

What about the czech republic new fighter?
Only the Grippen in the run?

Thanks

LY744

RE: Czech Republic New Fighter...

Sun Jun 10, 2001 9:43 pm

I'm really not up to date on the issue, but weren't the Czech Republic, Hungary, and Poland were planning to buy a single type of fighter together to lower costs? The choice was supposed to be between the F-16, F-18, Grippen, and the Mirage 2000. But I haven't heard much on this issue in a while, so maybe someone else has more accurate and up to date informaiton.

LY744

jwenting

Mon Jun 11, 2001 2:46 pm

they were in the running.
I think it has been narrowed down to either new Grippens or 2nd hand Falcons from the ANG.

steman

Mon Jun 11, 2001 3:34 pm

I am almost sure that the old Viper will win this competition too.
It is the perfect answer to Air Forces that need a modern and NATO compatible fighter without the costs of a brand new fighter.
Both the F-18 and the Mirage 2000 are too expensive, moreover the only Hornet version still in production is the E/F which is too heavy and expensive for almost any Air Force in Europe.
Anyway, I would like to see more JAS-39 Gripens (not Grippen!!) in Europe as it is a very good machine and it deserves a bigger success.

Ciao

Stefano

jwenting

Tue Jun 12, 2001 1:52 am

sorry, typo  Smile
Old USN or USMC Hornets would be cheap, but probably very high airframe hours will make them less than attractive.

sterne82
Topic Author

Tue Jun 12, 2001 3:54 am

In their ROP, Czech Republic asked to the tenders that the contract will be done in Czech, payed with czech "Koruna" and if they have any juridical problem, it must be send to a czech court. As usually, when something didn't pleased them, american have said bye bye...and frenchies too! So it only remains in the run, the Grippen. The swedish are they more "mind open"?

Result...2 options for the czech governement:
Either they declare that the tenders are all refused or they chose the winner (and one only option...!).

So, only "god" knows what future will be, but it will be quite interesting to see some "Gripen" in czech colours, didn't you think?

Cheers.

P.S: Poland has the same request than Czech Republic, but surprinsigly, american stay in the run...What the hell these american, got in mind?

LOT767-300ER

Tue Jun 12, 2001 9:48 am

Poland is trying to get the F-16

LY744

Tue Jun 12, 2001 10:36 am

So, from your responses it sounds like the Czech Republic, Poland, and Hungary, are not going with their original plan - buying one type of a/c for the three countries, is that right? I don't think anyone mentioned the Hungarian AF, did they choose their fighter yet?
Thanks.

LY744.