Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

C5 Galaxy At STL- 5/14/01

Wed May 16, 2001 11:11 am

Yesterday evening at 7:30 just as I saw the overview of Lambert from Lindbergh, I was hoping to see the An-124 that may still be on the ground, because a generator was delivered on the freeways that morning. There was no Antonov. However, blending in with the twilight was a dark gray C-5 Galaxy resting on the same taxiway as the An-124 was parked on 4/15. On 4/15, the An-124 was used to deliver the generator. I drove over to get a closer look. There were two numbers that appeared like reg. One was under the T-tail and read 80225. In addition, under the cockpit by about 15ft was another number 8225. I think the first one was the registration. Was it? We waited an hour in hopes of the Lockheed departure. I hear the C-5 is a magical symphony on takeoff and I hoped to hear it roar over, but the monster was reluctant. Did this C-5 deliver a generator on Monday 5/14? Did anyone else see it? Like to hear from you.

TurboTristar

B747

RE: C5 Galaxy At STL- 5/14/01

Thu May 17, 2001 5:16 am

The # 80225 is the US Air Force Tail #. It means it was ordered in 1968, the rest of the # is just the rest of the tail#. Under the cockpit, behind the door is the tail# in a shortened manner. All C-5's have the 5-digit # on the tail, with the 4-digit # behind the crew entry door.
Hope this helps.
Brian

Thu May 17, 2001 7:16 am

Ok- I understand now, thanks Smile Why is it on the C-5B there is a 6 digit #, for instance 84-0060. Is that an indentification of the B model?

TurboTristar

B747

Thu May 17, 2001 11:37 am

You will not see 840060 on the tail, but rather just 40060. On the nose it will read 4060. Sometimes we that work the C-5 will add the "8" as part of the # in discussion or documentation, to let people that may not know that is a 1984 model.
Brian