Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

The Best Way To Get Into A Military Bird...

Fri May 11, 2001 4:13 am

After visiting a recent military airshow, I would really like to fly military a/c, such as the B-1B, KC-10, or the military version of 707, the 717. Can someone tell me the best route to go to get into one? I am in flight school right now earning my ratings and will be restarting my college so I can get that over with. I want to fly those airplanes, without having to worry about being given the run around by some recruiter or what not. Any and all suggested will be appreciated. Thank you.
WEAPON

chdmcmanus

RE: The Best Way To Get Into A Military Bird...

Fri May 11, 2001 4:28 am

Try for some basic info. Are you in ROTC? What ratings do you hold? PPL and CML will help, but an ATP with Class 1 is a shoe-in. Believe it or not, the heavies are a tighter competition than the fighters nowadays. Unfortunately, you are going to have to deal with the recruiters at some point. My only advise is, don't enlist if you are close to finishing your degree. Finish at least a bachelors then go straight for OCS or ROTC. It will be the quickest route. What air show was it, was it the Lockheed-Marietta 50th? Anyway, Hope this helped.

Regards,
ChD

chdmcmanus

Fri May 11, 2001 5:17 am

http://www.airforce.com/
Sorry, the websight didn't post

N139J

Fri May 11, 2001 7:49 am

That is my goal too, and I have been taking classes and getting things set up for becoming one. Whatever you do, don't enlist. Finish college, then talk to a recruiter about AOCS. If your college has an ROTC program, join. I am in NJROTC (high school version) and I love it. Anyway, all you have to so is finish college and get into AOCS (Aeronautical Officer Candidate School). Good luck, and I maybe I will see you up there someday!
-Jason
N139J

dash80

Fri May 11, 2001 11:21 pm

You must have a minimum of a BA or BS degree to fly as a USAF or USN officer. Do not enlisted before you finish your degree. Your degree should come first before flight training. Although the services take previous flight experience or ratings into some consideration, it's not as much as some whould think. Your best bet is to attend a school that has an Air Force or Navy ROTC program. The services fill their pilot quoatas in this order: 1) Service Academies 2) ROTC 3) OTS (AF) AOCS (USN). Do not talk to a recruiter until you have your degree in hand!

dash80

Fri May 11, 2001 11:25 pm

Also, your profile indicates that your are between 21-25, so age might be a factor. I believe that the USAF still has a requirement that you complete your 52-week initial training by the time your 26 and 1/2 years old.

Sat May 12, 2001 2:42 am

Consider the Air National Guard (ANG). If you have your dgreee, or are close, you can apply for a Guard slot. The nice thing about the guard is that you are applying for a flying position. If you are accepeted, it is for a pilot job. If you don't make it through training for whatever reasons, you don't owe them. If you are comissioned in the AF and you do manage to get accepted into a flight slot, you are commited to the AF no matter what happens. If you get medically disqualified, you are still an officer in the AF and owe them at least 4 years. They'll just find a different job for you. Anyway, there are guard units out there right now that are looking for pilots. They train you for 2 years full time and then you fly for them once a month and two weeks a year.

ngr

Sat May 12, 2001 2:58 am

I'm not a pilot, but I want to be one. I've asked my instructors at CAP and JROTC and they said the best way is to stay in ROTC and CAP. They look good on your resumes. Also, apply for the Air Force Acadamy or go to a college that has ROTC. After completing a FOUR year college and getting your degrees, you need to enter the USAF, or the service of your choice.
Apply for OCS(officer training school) and apply for a pilot position. This is a very competitive application because over 50,000 people apply for a pilot position, and only 1,500 can be a pilot. They will select the very best people. You need to play sports at your college (or high school). You should get involved with a lot of ec activities and make no lower than a B in your classes. You should have another job in mind in case you don't get selected.
If you do get selected, you will have OCS for about 6 months and Pilot training courses for about 2 yrs. You will probably start out as a copilot, but after a few years of service, you will become a full-blown pilot. THERE IS ONE THING YOU MUST BE AWARE OF: IF YOU BECOME AN AF PILOT, YOU WILL HAVE TO SERVE FOR 10 OR MORE YEARS.

Hope this helps  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
NGR

Mon May 14, 2001 7:44 pm

You can buy one.

BBC_CCCP
RUS AF RULES!!!