Search found 12703 matches

by zeke
Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:25 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Lufthansa looking at buying 20 A350 or 787 according to Bloomberg
Replies: 147
Views: 18765

Re: Lufthansa looking at buying 20 A350 or 787 according to Bloomberg

Is this Lufthansa, or Lufthansa Group looking at this ?

Who is going to operate them ?

Jump to post
by zeke
Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:23 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Thai Airways pilot on ZRH-BKK refuses to fly because his friends couldn't get First Class seats
Replies: 134
Views: 21190

Re: Thai Airways pilot on ZRH-BKK refuses to fly because his friends couldn't get First Class seats

Virtual737, Thank you for your unemotive reply, it really helps achieve a sensible discussion. It is also great that you see there were a few errors with passenger handling on the way. While I agree with you that there were a number of high-profile seat relocation issues, in reality I would think th...

Jump to post
by zeke
Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:43 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Thai Airways pilot on ZRH-BKK refuses to fly because his friends couldn't get First Class seats
Replies: 134
Views: 21190

Re: Thai Airways pilot on ZRH-BKK refuses to fly because his friends couldn't get First Class seats

Are you seriously equating a (relatively) highly paid flight crew's lack of contracted seating to child labour and slavery? As I mentioned in my PM to you yesterday (which I guess you didn't appreciate), I do appreciate your posts here but I'm struggling to understand your logic. To me it is very s...

Jump to post
by zeke
Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:06 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Thai Airways pilot on ZRH-BKK refuses to fly because his friends couldn't get First Class seats
Replies: 134
Views: 21190

Re: Thai Airways pilot on ZRH-BKK refuses to fly because his friends couldn't get First Class seats

Virtual737, You come across as a person who is happy for environmental destruction, child labour, slavery etc to be used in goods and services you purchase or receive benefit from as the outcome justifies the means. Thankfully the majority or the world finds that to be repugnant. Contracts are just ...

Jump to post
by zeke
Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:46 am
Forum: Technical/Operations
Topic: Malaysia A330..Why Gravity Extension of Landing Gear?
Replies: 3
Views: 500

Re: Malaysia A330..Why Gravity Extension of Landing Gear?

Without valid air data the hydraulic safety value does not open as it does not know if the airspeed is below 280 kts.

I believe all the pitot covers were left on, not just one, the gravity gear extension comes under the “ALL ADR OFF” procedure.

Jump to post
by zeke
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:04 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Thai Airways pilot on ZRH-BKK refuses to fly because his friends couldn't get First Class seats
Replies: 134
Views: 21190

Re: Thai Airways pilot on ZRH-BKK refuses to fly because his friends couldn't get First Class seats

But for inactive pilots, there is no rule that first-class seats should be reserved for them or not, the source continued.. I think the article is wrong regarding the pilots coming from the 777. They were needed for the next day. No such thing as inactive pilots, if crew are positions back to BKK, ...

Jump to post
by zeke
Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:56 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Thai Airways pilot on ZRH-BKK refuses to fly because his friends couldn't get First Class seats
Replies: 134
Views: 21190

Re: Thai Airways pilot on ZRH-BKK refuses to fly because his friends couldn't get First Class seats

Operational delays happen all the time, you will have a very short life if you think you have to fight it. Just do the best that I can and deal with it.

Jump to post
by zeke
Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:32 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Thai Airways pilot on ZRH-BKK refuses to fly because his friends couldn't get First Class seats
Replies: 134
Views: 21190

Re: Thai Airways pilot on ZRH-BKK refuses to fly because his friends couldn't get First Class seats

The airline industry is the only industry that operates with the underlying business philosophy that the customer is the enemy . Totally disagree, I never think as customers are being the enemy, regardless if they are internal or externa customers. What I don't understand is, if the normally-schedu...

Jump to post
by zeke
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:52 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Thai Airways pilot on ZRH-BKK refuses to fly because his friends couldn't get First Class seats
Replies: 134
Views: 21190

Re: Thai Airways pilot on ZRH-BKK refuses to fly because his friends couldn't get First Class seats

Thankfully these issues do not happen that often, most times ground staff know the procedures and implement them correctly. Other reasons where I have refused to close the doors are cases disputes between passengers over seat allocation, apparently intoxicated passengers, apparently unwell passenger...

Jump to post
by zeke
Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:31 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Thai Airways pilot on ZRH-BKK refuses to fly because his friends couldn't get First Class seats
Replies: 134
Views: 21190

Re: Thai Airways pilot on ZRH-BKK refuses to fly because his friends couldn't get First Class seats

When you buy a plane ticket, it's also called a Contract of Carriage. If a customer is either kicked out of his scheduled flight, or downgraded to a lower class than what he/she paid for, it's a violation of the contract. As it has been mentioned a number of times already, this flight is sold as a ...

Jump to post
by zeke
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:12 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Thai Airways pilot on ZRH-BKK refuses to fly because his friends couldn't get First Class seats
Replies: 134
Views: 21190

Re: Thai Airways pilot on ZRH-BKK refuses to fly because his friends couldn't get First Class seats

The airline has opened an official investigation into the matter; it seems like it was the pilot/s who caused some commotion. Furthermore it appears that it was someone who had paid for First Class who had to move back. There were no first class seats available for sale. It was sold as a 777 withou...

Jump to post
by zeke
Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:24 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Thai Airways pilot on ZRH-BKK refuses to fly because his friends couldn't get First Class seats
Replies: 134
Views: 21190

Re: Thai Airways pilot on ZRH-BKK refuses to fly because his friends couldn't get First Class seats

Ah the end titled airline staff. Deadheading employee more important than a paying passenger :roll: The point was it was not a paying F class passenger. So please feel free to harp on about entitled passengers that expect free upgrades from airlines they did not pay for. For all we know this could ...

Jump to post
by zeke
Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:35 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Thai Airways pilot on ZRH-BKK refuses to fly because his friends couldn't get First Class seats
Replies: 134
Views: 21190

Re: Thai Airways pilot on ZRH-BKK refuses to fly because his friends couldn't get First Class seats

The pilot may have have been contractually entitled to this, and ground staff overstep their authority denying them of that under the view they can do whatever they want. As it is a seat allocation issue of unsold seats in F, the responsibility of it rests with ground staff, and the operating crew l...

Jump to post
by zeke
Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:29 am
Forum: Technical/Operations
Topic: A320 Series Doors
Replies: 8
Views: 704

Re: A320 Series Doors

Often it is just a small stone between the rubber seal and the fuselage.

Jump to post
by zeke
Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:27 am
Forum: Technical/Operations
Topic: Questions on dual parallel approaches
Replies: 13
Views: 1145

Re: Questions on dual parallel approaches

The real reason I made those questions is because the incoming Mexican government wants to scrap the new Mexico City airport already under construction (having triple independent approaches) and instead convert Santa Lucia AFB (NLU) into a civilian airport and keeping the old MEX open. They need a ...

Jump to post
by zeke
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:34 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Etihad to cancel a "significant amount" of A350 Order according to Aviation Analyst
Replies: 109
Views: 23541

Re: Etihad to cancel a "significant amount" of A350 Order according to Aviation Analyst

I think any reasonable person would acknowledge that EY is going through a number of structural changes, and setting a new direction for the airline.

The final fallout of this process I do not think they even know.

Jump to post
by zeke
Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:31 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Can a 747-400 fly JFK-HKG non-stop
Replies: 35
Views: 11378

Re: Can a 747-400 fly JFK-HKG non-stop

LAX772LR wrote:

CX's nonstop didn't begin until July 1, 2004, with the A346 and offering F... and that was after a delay from the initial planned launch of March 31, 2003.


Technically not correct, the first non stop in a 744 also was the first commercial flight to land at the new HKG airport.

Jump to post
by zeke
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:46 pm
Forum: Technical/Operations
Topic: 787 vs A350 range
Replies: 11
Views: 1012

Re: 787 vs A350 range

lightsaber wrote:
If someone would post the payload/range charts, it would generate better discussion.


That will not help on the A350 as the payload range chart published are for WV000.

Jump to post
by zeke
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:56 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Airlines leasing houses instead of booking hotel rooms
Replies: 122
Views: 13235

Re: Airlines leasing houses instead of booking hotel rooms

Deltabravo1123 wrote:
So every single crew member would have their own hotel room?


Not sure why you are surprised by this. I would not like being served with papers for sexual harassment for conduct I didn’t do behind closed doors. The employer would be co-defending.

A simple preventative measure is separate rooms.

Jump to post
by zeke
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:32 am
Forum: Technical/Operations
Topic: Questions on dual parallel approaches
Replies: 13
Views: 1145

Re: Questions on dual parallel approaches

In addition to lateral separation while vectoring aircraft onto the final approach course, aircraft on approach to different runways are kept at different altitudes when joining final. For example aircraft vectored to join the left runway join at 5000 feet, while aircraft vectored to join the right...

Jump to post
by zeke
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:25 am
Forum: Technical/Operations
Topic: Increase in MTOW
Replies: 13
Views: 958

Re: Increase in MTOW

The A320 Neo's at the Airline I work for have come with Three MTOW'S. 73.5 initially, then 74 and now in 79T. How does the Airframe become more capable of lifting heavier loads after a certain point of time? I know the engine thrust rating is same in all three.. You will find they paid for the high...

Jump to post
by zeke
Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:38 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Boeing Site in Toulouse, France
Replies: 27
Views: 5208

Re: Boeing Site in Toulouse, France

cledaybuck wrote:
French companies are already suppliers for several parts on the 787, not to mention partners with GE of the vast majority of engines going on Boeing planes.


I think Airbus Canada may even be a risk sharing partner on the 787 with the rear pressure bulkhead.

It’s just business.

Jump to post
by zeke
Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:20 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Data: scrap value of an A380
Replies: 27
Views: 6259

Re: Data: scrap value of an A380

Airbus Boeing BBD EMB etc all do not pay 100% of the development costs, in the case of the A380, Airbus paid around 40% of the total, the rest you need to look at the risk sharing partners.

Jump to post
by zeke
Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:43 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Data: scrap value of an A380
Replies: 27
Views: 6259

Re: Data: scrap value of an A380

I don't see $45 Million for other parts and scrap metal. It’s not 45 million for scrap metal. All the rotable parts like avionics, flight controls, spoilers, flaps, winglets, fairings, landing gear, doors, galleys, toilets and their associated systems where possible will be removed and returned to ...

Jump to post
by zeke
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:39 pm
Forum: Technical/Operations
Topic: Why would an airline choose the B737 Max vs The A320 NEO
Replies: 41
Views: 3293

Re: Why would an airline choose the B737 Max vs The A320 NEO

Too early to say structural damage. From what I hear, the composite fairing linking 2 parts of the fuselage was sliced right through. Pilots were able to pressurise the cabin and the systems did not report any problems which is why the pilots continued flying for 4.15 hours. Guaranteed to have dama...

Jump to post
by zeke
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:39 am
Forum: Technical/Operations
Topic: Why would an airline choose the B737 Max vs The A320 NEO
Replies: 41
Views: 3293

Re: Why would an airline choose the B737 Max vs The A320 NEO

Yes very efficient at doing that on a industrial scale, that’s what I thought of in that scene in American Made where Cruise goes through those trees at the end of the runway !

Jump to post
by zeke
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:34 pm
Forum: Military Aviation & Space Flight
Topic: A400M Update
Replies: 874
Views: 115610

Re: A400M Update

The bottom line is Germany has more than it needs and also has budget pressure, so they are looking for opportunities to, as you say, offload a lot of . Firstly I don’t any US poster actually believes that, if it were true the first thing to cancel would be the recent C130Js. Secondly the main issu...

Jump to post
by zeke
Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:08 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Air India Express 737 gets massive gash on belly on take off
Replies: 52
Views: 14713

Re: Air India Express 737 gets massive gash on belly on take off

So the 737 took off and flew about 4-5ft in the air for about 300ft? What happened? Been suggested elsewhere without an official statement to back it up, the captains seat unlocked and moved backwards during the takeoff roll, after takeoff the nose was pushed down when the seat was moved forward ag...

Jump to post
by zeke
Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:47 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Inaugural SQ SIN-EWR A359ULR 11 October 2018
Replies: 162
Views: 38027

Re: Inaugural SQ SIN-EWR A359ULR 11 October 2018

ETOPS alone would require more than the 2.2t for a 30 min alternate. ETOPS enroute fuel figures are basically built around 3 scenarios diverting to an ETOPS enroute alternate 1) depressurisation and both engines running 2) depressurisation and singke engine 3) engine failure without depressurisatio...

Jump to post
by zeke
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:12 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Air India Express 737 gets massive gash on belly on take off
Replies: 52
Views: 14713

Re: Air India Express 737 gets massive gash on belly on take off

It was flyable because there was no "hull" damage. As I said above I'm not trying to minimize a serious incident but the belly damage is cosmetic, the pressure vessel was not compromised. That said if in fact notified they should not have carried on. Some photos I saw had damage to the st...

Jump to post
by zeke
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:59 pm
Forum: Technical/Operations
Topic: Why would an airline choose the B737 Max vs The A320 NEO
Replies: 41
Views: 3293

Re: Why would an airline choose the B737 Max vs The A320 NEO

BoeingGuy wrote:

You mean like the A320 that flew into the trees or LH A320 that ran off the end of the runway at WAW because they ignored pilot control inputs, something a Boeing airplane would never do. ;)


Hook line and sinker, and more takers ?

Jump to post
by zeke
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:57 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Inaugural SQ SIN-EWR A359ULR 11 October 2018
Replies: 162
Views: 38027

Re: Inaugural SQ SIN-EWR A359ULR 11 October 2018

[ About 30 of the business seats for the fuel bill. Random return trip in November shows it to be about $5300 for the trip. 2x $79000 for the fuel bills is $158k. Fred Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Any they are the limited number of advance purchase discount tickets you are looking at, not the...

Jump to post
by zeke
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:06 pm
Forum: Technical/Operations
Topic: Why would an airline choose the B737 Max vs The A320 NEO
Replies: 41
Views: 3293

Re: Why would an airline choose the B737 Max vs The A320 NEO

Seems to perform better at taking out brick walls or runway excursions. Not as good floating.

Jump to post
by zeke
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:59 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Which aircraft has the advantage - A350-900ULR v 772LR.
Replies: 14
Views: 4313

Re: Which aircraft has the advantage - A350-900ULR v 772LR.

I said it did on the SQ22 thread. One of the passengers posted the fuel burn, fuel load, the V speeds from the crew, from that I know exactly what the weight was. Fuel burn was around 100 tonnes, fuel load around 110 tonnes, TOW 273 tonnes. Quoting myself “The numbers they have of 162/168/174 from 0...

Jump to post
by zeke
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:55 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Inaugural SQ SIN-EWR A359ULR 11 October 2018
Replies: 162
Views: 38027

Re: Inaugural SQ SIN-EWR A359ULR 11 October 2018

The aircraft took off 7 tonnes below MTOW, at below maximum fuel capacity, with a very heavy premium interior.

They could have had a lot more economy passengers onboard, however probably only 5 businesses class fares would be needed to paid the fuel bill.

This route is about high yield.

Jump to post
by zeke
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:26 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Which aircraft has the advantage - A350-900ULR v 772LR.
Replies: 14
Views: 4313

Re: Which aircraft has the advantage - A350-900ULR v 772LR.

LAX772LR wrote:
And while that could be true to an extent, it's worth noting that unlike the 77L vs 77E, the A359ULR does not have an MTOW increase over the currently produced A359... they're both 280T.


SQ22 was neither at MTOW or maximum fuel volume going SIN to EWR.

Jump to post
by zeke
Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:18 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Inaugural SQ SIN-EWR A359ULR 11 October 2018
Replies: 162
Views: 38027

Re: Inaugural SQ SIN-EWR A359ULR 11 October 2018

Is this 273 tonnes TOW indicative of the fact that they had some cargo on board, considering that there were only 150 passengers on board? And what about the 10 tonnes of fuel remaining after landing, how close is this to the contingency fuel requirements? I do not know the weights or the catering ...

Jump to post
by zeke
Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:05 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Inaugural SQ SIN-EWR A359ULR 11 October 2018
Replies: 162
Views: 38027

Re: Inaugural SQ SIN-EWR A359ULR 11 October 2018

HJM wrote:
What might be the approximate cost of fuel for this segment?


$773.05/ metric tonne x 101 tonnes about US$79,000

Jump to post
by zeke
Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:01 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Inaugural SQ SIN-EWR A359ULR 11 October 2018
Replies: 162
Views: 38027

Re: Inaugural SQ SIN-EWR A359ULR 11 October 2018

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DpTHxVdUcAAe2TT.jpg 101.4 ton of fuel used, landed with 10 ton remaining ... Not bad https://twitter.com/FATIIIAviation/status/1050684281213747200 111t of fuel, 20t of pax and bags, 5t of catering to keep Zeke happy = 136t. Empty aircraft = 135t 271t TOW leaving another ...

Jump to post
by zeke
Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:43 am
Forum: Technical/Operations
Topic: When was ETOPS approved for transpacific flights?
Replies: 28
Views: 2616

Re: When was ETOPS approved for transpacific flights?

Zeke, what rule was that a part of? This thread is about ETOPS and ETPOPS as we know it now, started in the early 80's. Who was the A300 operator back then, and what regulatory authority issued this certification. The rule is the 60 minute rule like found in 121.161. In the 1950s ICAO did a study o...

Jump to post
by zeke
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:37 pm
Forum: Technical/Operations
Topic: When was ETOPS approved for transpacific flights?
Replies: 28
Views: 2616

Re: When was ETOPS approved for transpacific flights?

Trying to imagine an inter island flight where you would be more than 60 minutes from an airport? I think you are wrong. There was no suchh thing as ETOPS in the 70's. I believe UAL had the 1st ETOPS approval in the NOPAC and CEP oceanic regions, The A300 was flying the Atlantic under a 90 minute r...

Jump to post
by zeke
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:42 am
Forum: Technical/Operations
Topic: Recovered wreckage after the investigation
Replies: 5
Views: 920

Re: Recovered wreckage after the investigation

http://dgca.gov.in/intradgca/intra/icao ... 4%20(Corr1)%20(En).pdf
-->

ICAO 9137 PART 5 Airport Services Manual - Part 5 Removal of Disabled Aircraft

http://dgca.gov.in/intradgca/intra/icao ... 4%20(Corr1)%20(En).pdf

Jump to post
by zeke
Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:02 pm
Forum: Technical/Operations
Topic: Refuelling time question
Replies: 16
Views: 1736

Re: Refuelling time question

Probably looking at around 35 minutes to refill from empty to the required level at 2.4 tonnes per minute, however they would still have the fuel onboard from the inbound sector so closer to 30 minutes.

Jump to post
by zeke
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:37 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: UA Fuel MAYDAY call into SYD
Replies: 135
Views: 24653

Re: UA Fuel MAYDAY call into SYD

Not at all. I am well familiar with that checklist and the rationale behind each step. The issue was the Flight Deck miscommunicated to the Cabin Crew and the Cabin Crew read the Ditching instructions to the passengers and caused unnecessary panic. The passengers put on their life vests. Then Catha...

Jump to post
by zeke
Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:10 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: UA Fuel MAYDAY call into SYD
Replies: 135
Views: 24653

Re: UA Fuel MAYDAY call into SYD

What was even more foolish on Cathay’s part was the 777 crew who told the passengers they may have to ditch, and told them to put their live vests on, because they were diverting into Shemya with a simple Avionics cooling fan bearing failure. That created a lot of unnecessary panic with the passeng...

Jump to post
by zeke
Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:01 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: UA Fuel MAYDAY call into SYD
Replies: 135
Views: 24653

Re: UA Fuel MAYDAY call into SYD

Double post due server error

Jump to post
by zeke
Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:00 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: UA Fuel MAYDAY call into SYD
Replies: 135
Views: 24653

Re: UA Fuel MAYDAY call into SYD

A lot of words about your operation. Not any FACTS on the UAL operation. You made a hypothetical scenario, I answered it. It seems you don’t like my comprehensive answer to your hypothetical scenario as it does not fit your agenda. A landing on the other runway may have been possible but it could h...

Jump to post
by zeke
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:05 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: UA Fuel MAYDAY call into SYD
Replies: 135
Views: 24653

Re: UA Fuel MAYDAY call into SYD

So Zeke, here is a hypothetical. The flight is dispatched with an alternate. As the crew operates for 14 hours the fuel score is negative but still acceptable. As the crew gets closer in coordination with dispatch they relay they fuel issue. The weather at destination is satisfactory to no longer n...

Jump to post
by zeke
Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:09 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: UA Fuel MAYDAY call into SYD
Replies: 135
Views: 24653

Re: UA Fuel MAYDAY call into SYD

I'm not sure I understand the point of this reply and what it has to do with the quoted comment. Because you said “under US regulations there is no such thing as declaring a MAYDAY”, they are operating in Australian airspace and also have to comply with Australian requirements which essentially are...

Jump to post
by zeke
Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:52 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: UA Fuel MAYDAY call into SYD
Replies: 135
Views: 24653

Re: UA Fuel MAYDAY call into SYD

To ask someone to post an internal company report is ludicrous, especially something safety related. I also work for UA, and what Jay posts is correct not only on this issue but, many others. Also, under US regulations there is no such thing as declaring a MAYDAY. You declare an emergency. As a pil...

Jump to post