Search found 9169 matches

by Polot
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:48 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Boeing 737MAX Grounded Worldwide Q2 2019
Replies: 2976
Views: 291328

Re: Boeing 737MAX Grounded Worldwide Q2 2019

Not always as straight forward as it might be perhaps! 'It seems France and Germany changed their rules in a hurry while the plane was in the air, as Norwegian said it had permission to reposition the empty plane from EU air traffic organisation Eurocontrol and the European Aviation Safety Agency, ...

Jump to post
by Polot
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Boeing 737MAX Grounded Worldwide Q2 2019
Replies: 2976
Views: 291328

Re: Boeing 737MAX Grounded Worldwide Q2 2019

Aren't technically accurate? New build aircraft do not NEED to fly when the model type has been suspended. Boeing have made the decision to continue manufacturing and to store remotely. Boeing will have extended their existing insurance cover to fly aircraft for which airworthiness certificates CAN...

Jump to post
by Polot
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:31 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: FG: How are the all-new Airbus (A350) and Boeing (787) widebodies faring?
Replies: 86
Views: 10581

Re: FG: How are the all-new Airbus (A350) and Boeing (787) widebodies faring?

Sure, you could complain about that, or you could add something of value to this thread instead. I could, but why wouldn't I want to point out a sudden and very convenient change in the merits of sole engine choice vs dual, seeing as apparently we love dual engine choices again and they now matter....

Jump to post
by Polot
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:15 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: CEO: Korean Air widebody order imminent
Replies: 103
Views: 16608

Re: CEO: Korean Air widebody order imminent

Airbus could certainly use a major order given the now five and a half year sales drought on the 350 line but all the momo and KE's existing fleet seem to be aligned the other way and that plane is responsible for the drought- the 789. with UA doing SFO-ICN on 78x and NZ buying that model as well, ...

Jump to post
by Polot
Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:18 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Will Boeing Brasil let the E175-E2 just fall off the table?
Replies: 43
Views: 6183

Re: Will Boeing Brasil let the E175-E2 just fall off the table?

OK, I am going to bite. If Embraer and Boeing through Embraer are conspiring to undermine pilot SCOPE clauses with the E175-E2 in the US, shouldn’t advanced labor be more open to the A220 program? Boeing better nip this one in the bud quickly. The E175-E2 is the right size for scope clauses but the...

Jump to post
by Polot
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:59 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Will Boeing Brasil let the E175-E2 just fall off the table?
Replies: 43
Views: 6183

Re: Will Boeing Brasil let the E175-E2 just fall off the table?

OK, I am going to bite. If Embraer and Boeing through Embraer are conspiring to undermine pilot SCOPE clauses with the E175-E2 in the US, shouldn’t advanced labor be more open to the A220 program? Boeing better nip this one in the bud quickly. The E175-E2 is the right size for scope clauses but the...

Jump to post
by Polot
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:05 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Delta luggage abuse
Replies: 75
Views: 7892

Re: Delta luggage abuse

Boof02671 wrote:
When you gate check a bag it doesn’t go into a bag cart, its carried or slid down the jetway and carried to the belt loader or baggage bin.

She was connecting. She probably gate checked at first flight and it got damaged in transit to next flight at connecting airport.

Jump to post
by Polot
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:11 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Updated: JAL takes delivery of its 1st Airbus (A350)
Replies: 164
Views: 3193

Re: JAL takes delivery of its 1st Airbus (A350)

Guess the first domestic routes are for crew training. Afterall it is the first fly by wire, sidestick Airbus in JAL´s fleet. This is a domestic configured plane replacing the domestic 772. Barring a shift in strategy from JAL it will spend its entire life flying domestic routes. A35Ks will be used...

Jump to post
by Polot
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:51 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: SAS new livery?
Replies: 22
Views: 4465

Re: SAS new livery?

Didn't mean to be a debby downer here, but is it possible that the blue-ish fuselage is just the effect from the dark nature of the "photo set"? Yes, I don’t think the fuselage is blue, the contrast between the engine blue and the fuselage is very very different. Fuselage is likely grey l...

Jump to post
by Polot
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:35 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: SAS new livery?
Replies: 22
Views: 4465

Re: SAS new livery?

Oykie wrote:
anyone else agrees that the engine color looks blue?

They are definitely blue.

I disagree about red/orange lettering being on the engines though. I think it is reflection of a light. You don’t see red on the engines reflected on the fuselage.

Jump to post
by Polot
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:12 pm
Forum: Travel, Polls & Preferences
Topic: Airbus A330-743L Beluga XL Passenger Variant
Replies: 6
Views: 1873

Re: Airbus A330-743L Beluga XL Passenger Variant

Unless things changed with the new one (very doubtful), the cargo compartment of the Beluga is not pressurized, only the cockpit.

Jump to post
by Polot
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:56 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: MRJ is now the Space Jet
Replies: 73
Views: 12009

Re: MRJ is now the Space Jet

It is now official...MRJ70 is cancelled and a new 76-seater named the SpaceJet M100 will be developed..... :airplane: ..... https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/mitsubishi-rebrands-mrj-as-spacejet-and-plans-new-76-458878/ https://www.flightglobal.com/assets/getasset.aspx?itemid=77819 And the ...

Jump to post
by Polot
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:50 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: United Airlines Boeing 777-200s
Replies: 18
Views: 4914

Re: United Airlines Boeing 777-200s

Regarding the 19 777-200s 13 of them were configured for international use and were flown across the Atlantic for years (first ever 777 service was on one of these aircraft) before being converted for domestic use. These aircraft always had AVOD nose to tail. There were at least 3 different generat...

Jump to post
by Polot
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:30 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Because Delta (DL) has not canceled NRT-SIN?
Replies: 83
Views: 11572

Re: Because Delta (DL) has not canceled NRT-SIN?

Even if for some reason DL wanted to maintain NRT-SIN/MNL, they legally wouldn’t be able to once they shift their USA-NRT operations to HND. By rule, the NRT-SIN/MNL tags have to be attached to a NRT-USA flight. Hence they’d have to keep two USA-NRT flights to keep the tags. I also wonder if DL mig...

Jump to post
by Polot
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:21 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: A380 was success for Airbus, says new CEO
Replies: 453
Views: 41988

Re: A380 was success for Airbus, says new CEO

But note that the article only ever talks about LOANS which SHOULD BE REPAID. That is the fact which is constantly denied here and elsewehere. Airbus seeking to cancel repayments is another matter. Yes, but if it does get cancelled is it a loan? Why does Airbus want to cancel repayment, why isn’t A...

Jump to post
by Polot
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:09 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: A380 was success for Airbus, says new CEO
Replies: 453
Views: 41988

Re: A380 was success for Airbus, says new CEO

You only forget to mention that Airbus had already paid a lot more than they originally had lent and that all parties involved agreed to lower the fee. How do you know that Airbus had already paid a lot more than they originally had lent to them? (And it's not a loan if you don't have to pay it bac...

Jump to post
by Polot
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:49 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Did the a380 plus get any orders, and if not, why?
Replies: 14
Views: 2025

Re: Did the a380 plus get any orders, and if not, why?

The only major thing EK was really interested in from the plus were the winglets. I don’t know if Airbus refused retrofitting because they were desperate and trying to force new orders or if the proposed winglets were only really feasible with the wing/MTOW changes (we don’t really know how much eng...

Jump to post
by Polot
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:58 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: United Airlines Boeing 777-200s
Replies: 18
Views: 4914

Re: United Airlines Boeing 777-200s

Check this out https://sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/home , and most of your questions should be answered. GREAT lead and useful site - thank you for posting that! :) Indeed, that answers a lot of my questions - meanwhile... I can answer some of these: 1. United uses most, if not all of the...

Jump to post
by Polot
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:42 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Because Delta (DL) has not canceled NRT-SIN?
Replies: 83
Views: 11572

Re: Because Delta (DL) has not canceled NRT-SIN?

DL's tags from NRT (SIN and MNL) work because of large TYO O&D. If DL could move the flights from NRT to HND I'm sure DL would, but otherwise those tags will stay at NRT until Ed and Glen have better yields elsewhere for the frames. Those tags show the power of FF programs... many cheaper alter...

Jump to post
by Polot
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:25 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Is it feasible for Aegean Airlines buy A321 ULR?
Replies: 15
Views: 1937

Re: Is it feasible for Aegean Airlines buy A321 ULR?

I don't see any reason in principle why they couldn't become a connecting airline like Turkish. The O&D Greece market isn't huge and they have essentially taken as much a share of that as they can probably realistically get without blowing up yields. If they have growth ambitions, seems like it...

Jump to post
by Polot
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:45 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Why did Eastern II fail?
Replies: 11
Views: 1960

Re: Why did Eastern II fail?

Short version? Mismanagement and an egomaniacal union leader whose actions lead the company into the hands of a feckless corporate raider. Nobody won, except the corporate raider. He is talking about the revival. Eastern II never started scheduled ops (I think due to lack of money to get necessary ...

Jump to post
by Polot
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:57 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Paris Airshow 2019, Expectations, Gossip, Announcements
Replies: 328
Views: 60069

Re: Paris Airshow 2019, Expectations, Gossip, Announcements

Saudi Arabian Airlines is closing in on both an A350 order as well as a possible A320 order with Airbus according to Reuters. https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-france-airshow/saudia-airline-close-to-placing-order-for-airbus-aircraft-sources-idUKKCN1TD0UV "PARIS, June 12 (Reuters) - Saudi Arabi...

Jump to post
by Polot
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:56 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Because Delta (DL) has not canceled NRT-SIN?
Replies: 83
Views: 11572

Re: Because Delta (DL) has not canceled NRT-SIN?

Is NRT-MNL mostly low-yielding, Japan-originating, vacationing passengers? What does DL have over other carriers flying Tokyo-MNL? From experience and what I've heard, MNL-NRT is mostly Filipinos connecting to flights in America. The latter part is probably important. So what are they going to conn...

Jump to post
by Polot
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:52 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: A380 ANA (Emirates)?
Replies: 3
Views: 2056

Re: A380 ANA (Emirates)?

Odd. Maybe whoever prepares that document just got used to putting Emirates for every A380 and assumed ANA is a leasing company or something.

Jump to post
by Polot
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:03 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Airbus And Boeing 2019 Orders
Replies: 164
Views: 46099

Re: Airbus And Boeing 2019 Orders

Lewton wrote:
Geoff1947 wrote:
Looks like 10x 359s cancelled, don’t know who.

Where does it look like that?

Yes, as far as I can tell cancellations are the same as it was in April. 125 total, 40 for A359.

Jump to post
by Polot
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:14 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Updated: Mitsubishi finalising deal for acquisition of CRJ programme according to FlightGlobal
Replies: 220
Views: 18658

Re: Updated: Mitsubishi finalising deal for acquisition of CRJ programme according to FlightGlobal

Who says Mitsu expects to immediately start making profits on the CRJ? Mitsubishi wants to enter and grow in the commercial aviation segment. BBD wants to get out. Losses that are unacceptable to BBD may be seen as acceptable by Mitsubishi as part of getting their foot in the door (eg acquiring a s...

Jump to post
by Polot
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:02 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Updated: Mitsubishi finalising deal for acquisition of CRJ programme according to FlightGlobal
Replies: 220
Views: 18658

Re: Updated: Mitsubishi finalising deal for acquisition of CRJ programme according to FlightGlobal

I really hope Bombardier can get a lot of money from Mitsubishi if this discussion results in a sale. However, I still do not understand a bunch of aspects. ⋅ Bombardier is losing money with its CRJ unit, but Mitsubishi can generate profit with it. What's the logic here? ⋅ MRJ90...

Jump to post
by Polot
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:12 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: What does the Rumored 6T MTOW Increase for the 787-10 Mean for the A359?
Replies: 161
Views: 23154

Re: What does the Rumored 6T MTOW Increase for the 787-10 Mean for the A359?

Sounds like exactly the same argument we have heard regarding the A350-1000 vs the 77X... It is about double the difference between the A350-900 (1670 nm) vs the 787-10 and the A350-1000 vs the 777-9 (873). Airbus list the A350-1000 with a range of 8400 nm, and Boeing has a range on the 777-9 of 75...

Jump to post
by Polot
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:30 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: KLM's first 787-10 Dreamliner (PH-BKA) is out
Replies: 23
Views: 6078

Re: KLM's first 787-10 Dreamliner (PH-BKA) is out

38 Business, 27 economy comfort, 279 economy. Quite a bit more than KL's 77E (34/40/242). Even though on the 787-10 KL can only use 34 of the 38 business seats as the unions demand an extra FA for 38 business class seats. Edit: link to seatmap: https://www.klm.com/travel/us_en/prepare_for_travel/on...

Jump to post
by Polot
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:39 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: More safety issues for Boeing...
Replies: 37
Views: 5379

Re: More safety issues for Boeing...

You have to be kidding, since when has it become okay to say AD's are normal, they are not, they are issued to rectify serious design flaws or procedures or any abnormalities that affect flight safety. Maybe you're getting confused with SB's. It's time you guys accept the fact that Boeing has stuff...

Jump to post
by Polot
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:25 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: What does the Rumored 6T MTOW Increase for the 787-10 Mean for the A359?
Replies: 161
Views: 23154

Re: What does the Rumored 6T MTOW Increase for the 787-10 Mean for the A359?

Do not take your case for a generality. Show me a comment that proves my friend :bigthumbsup: Easy: your statement about the commonality between the A359 and A35K. Sorry, but it's sadly true. These are not the same wings or the same engines between the two versions since the CEO of Qatar Airways ha...

Jump to post
by Polot
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:05 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: What does the Rumored 6T MTOW Increase for the 787-10 Mean for the A359?
Replies: 161
Views: 23154

Re: What does the Rumored 6T MTOW Increase for the 787-10 Mean for the A359?

IMHO it will also reduce the appeal of the 789 for those airlines which don’t need the max. range of the 789. Unfortunately the OP only focussed at the A359 (for obvious reasons), but a more capable 78X will also have some consequences for the 789. Boeing would be perfectly fine with that, consider...

Jump to post
by Polot
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:55 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: What does the Rumored 6T MTOW Increase for the 787-10 Mean for the A359?
Replies: 161
Views: 23154

Re: What does the Rumored 6T MTOW Increase for the 787-10 Mean for the A359?

If it can be done with 6T of extra fuel, the 787-10 would IMHO seriously reduce the A359's appeal... IMHO it will also reduce the appeal of the 789 for those airlines which don’t need the max. range of the 789. Unfortunately the OP only focussed at the A359 (for obvious reasons), but a more capable...

Jump to post
by Polot
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:06 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Paris Airshow 2019, Expectations, Gossip, Announcements
Replies: 328
Views: 60069

Re: Paris Airshow 2019, Expectations, Gossip, Announcements

I guess Boeing doesn't want Diva-Airlines Qatar to become the launch customer. Would be like asking a horror clown to organize a children's bithday party... But seriously, there are other airlines with a long history of working together with Boeing successfully and w/o much drama. I guess Boeing wi...

Jump to post
by Polot
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:30 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Boeing in Negotiations With China for Largest-Ever Jetliner Order - Report
Replies: 68
Views: 13248

Re: Boeing in Negotiations With China for Largest-Ever Jetliner Order - Report

Whether the order gets announced depends on what happens with trade negotiations. If both sides come to a deal China will announce the deal and Trump will taut how he came up with this incredible trade deal and how US companies (Boeing) are now benefiting blah blah blah. If no trade agreement deal g...

Jump to post
by Polot
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:41 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Boeing in Negotiations With China for Largest-Ever Jetliner Order - Report
Replies: 68
Views: 13248

Re: Boeing in Negotiations With China for Largest-Ever Jetliner Order - Report

zeke wrote:
They could choose to have a FAL in China, Japan, Korea if it was important to them.

That doesn’t solve the fundamental issue.

Jump to post
by Polot
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:09 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Boeing in Negotiations With China for Largest-Ever Jetliner Order - Report
Replies: 68
Views: 13248

Re: Boeing in Negotiations With China for Largest-Ever Jetliner Order - Report

Bummer Boeing is caught in the middle. Beoing is a global company, they could choose to setup another FAL anywhere to get away from these issues. A percentage of the aircraft are already made overseas. This is their choice, they are not a victim. Not sure that would actually matter all that much wi...

Jump to post
by Polot
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:23 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: More safety issues for Boeing...
Replies: 37
Views: 5379

Re: More safety issues for Boeing...

Eh, this is standard AD stuff that is getting magnified due to the Max. You have to be kidding, since when has it become okay to say AD's are normal, they are not, they are issued to rectify serious design flaws or procedures or any abnormalities that affect flight safety. Maybe you're getting conf...

Jump to post
by Polot
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:10 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Updated: Mitsubishi finalising deal for acquisition of CRJ programme according to FlightGlobal
Replies: 220
Views: 18658

Re: Updated: Mitsubishi finalising deal for acquisition of CRJ programme according to FlightGlobal

Unless they increase the height of the fuselage, it seems pointless. Adding different engines to the back of the CRJ will either make the section aft of the wing too heavy (and require extra weight/ballast up front) or make it to the point where the aft cargo bin becomes obsolete because you either...

Jump to post
by Polot
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:02 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Azerbaijan plans to postpone MAX order due to safety concerns
Replies: 11
Views: 1682

Re: Azerbaijan plans to postpone MAX order due to safety concerns

So, if the MCAS repairs do not go as planned, is there a way the airlines can back out without substantial loses? If the airline does not get the airplane in time they can hold firm and probably get out the contract. The issue, of course, is canceling the order gets you 0 new planes, and it not lik...

Jump to post
by Polot
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:26 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: More safety issues for Boeing...
Replies: 37
Views: 5379

Re: More safety issues for Boeing...

Eh, this is standard AD stuff that is getting magnified due to the Max.

Jump to post
by Polot
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:39 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Delta MD-88s as of Summer 2019
Replies: 64
Views: 6242

Re: Delta MD-88s as of Summer 2019

Someone please remind me: a key reason MD-8Xs are becoming obsolete quickly is because of P&W shying away from JT8D support, yes? They are becoming obsolete quickly because the plane is now 2 generations old with the youngest aircraft over 20 years old and the bulk of the worldwide frames aroun...

Jump to post
by Polot
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:32 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: A380 was success for Airbus, says new CEO
Replies: 453
Views: 41988

Re: A380 was success for Airbus, says new CEO

Boeing developed the 748 first and foremost as a passenger aircraft to answer the A380. It was shopped to customers and launched as such. The design and budgets also reflected this. This idea that it was intended for cargo and the passenger version was a "cheap" extension has only been sp...

Jump to post
by Polot
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:29 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: How did Airlines Fill up Large Widebodies in the Old days?
Replies: 95
Views: 14750

Re: How did Airlines Fill up Large Widebodies in the Old days?

Interestingly part of the turnaround centered around vastly improving the customer experience unlike today when airlines feel that the road to profits is all about taking away everything imaginable or at least forcing one to shell out more money. That is because fares/schedules were regulated. To t...

Jump to post
by Polot
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:18 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: De Havilland Aircraft of Canada Returns to the Skies
Replies: 67
Views: 9274

Re: De Havilland Aircraft of Canada Returns to the Skies

Would the Q400 benefit from using more composite materials ? If they could somehow improve the efficiency of the Q400 that might help. Also I have seen the Q400 being referred to as a hangar queen. If that is the case they will need to improve efficiency,reliability and production costs. The Q400 n...

Jump to post
by Polot
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:05 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Updated: Mitsubishi finalising deal for acquisition of CRJ programme according to FlightGlobal
Replies: 220
Views: 18658

Re: Mitsubishi to buy the CRJ program?

It's not weird at all. While the MRJ aims at making the CRJ obsolete, Mitsubishi clearly is struggling massively with the manufacturing logistics and that's where Bombardier has a lot to offer. Makes quite a bit of sense actually. The bigger picture question to me is does it make sense to double do...

Jump to post
by Polot
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:31 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Updated: Mitsubishi finalising deal for acquisition of CRJ programme according to FlightGlobal
Replies: 220
Views: 18658

Re: Mitsubishi to buy the CRJ program?

Revelation wrote:
GmvAfcs wrote:
maybe have a production line in the west for the MRJ.

That's pretty much the opposite of what Japan wants to see happen.

May not be what Japan wants to happen, but according to rumors it is something Mitsubishi is exploring.

Jump to post
by Polot
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:25 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: AF447 - 10 Years Later
Replies: 85
Views: 14456

Re: AF447 - 10 Years Later

Feedback sticks probably would not have saved the flight considering the pilots were the ones who put the aircraft into a stall to begin with. I don’t know why we are avoiding talking about that and focusing on just their recovery efforts.

Jump to post
by Polot
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:52 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Updated: Mitsubishi finalising deal for acquisition of CRJ programme according to FlightGlobal
Replies: 220
Views: 18658

Re: Mitsubishi to buy the CRJ program?

CRJ would get Mitsubishi’s foot in the door and buy it time for the MRJ/Spacejet. Remember Mitsubishi is effectively relaunching that jet (or at least the smaller variant) and looking at moving production over to the US. That will likely delay the smaller variant (the CRJ competitor) a few years. Wh...

Jump to post