Search found 8444 matches

by airbazar
Fri May 18, 2018 12:19 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: SilkAir becomes 'Singapore Airlines'
Replies: 80
Views: 16702

Re: SilkAir becomes 'Singapore Airlines'

Coal wrote:
Huge news! It will be the first time in many decades that SQ has narrow body planes in its livery, including on a 737.

Mere marketing. SilkAir was always Singapore Airlines but with different branding. Even on the frequent flier program was the same.

Jump to post
by airbazar
Fri May 18, 2018 12:01 pm
Forum: Travel, Polls & Preferences
Topic: Airline livery you miss the most
Replies: 134
Views: 6201

Re: Airline livery you miss the most

I wouldn't exactly say that I miss it but this livery was a beauty

Jump to post
by airbazar
Thu May 17, 2018 5:07 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Boston aviation - 2018
Replies: 840
Views: 67896

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

I don't believe that's true. I've been flying BOS-LHR 3-4x a year for at least 20 years and I really think that most people - at lease business people - prefer the overnight flights. And it's not only that you don't waste a day in the air. If you can sleep just a little on the flight, the jet lag i...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Wed May 16, 2018 4:57 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Boston aviation - 2018
Replies: 840
Views: 67896

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

The daytime TATL departures must be gaining some traction as well. I remember those flights were always empty years ago when they began. They were often the only FF seats available. But I have the feeling they've become more popular of late, especially with BA's earlier departure and more LHR conne...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Wed May 16, 2018 1:04 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: WTO issues appeal decision on Boeing complaint against Airbus subsidies
Replies: 79
Views: 7297

Re: WTO issues appeal decision on Boeing complaint against Airbus subsidies

You seriously want that? Would it resonate well with his voters, so I would not rule that out. It surely would resonate with the voters working for the numerous American suppliers Airbus relies on... Hardly a good idea. We seem to forget that Trump is not all that enamored with Boeing. Wasn't Boein...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Tue May 15, 2018 8:07 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: DL to add new routes after agreement with ME3
Replies: 185
Views: 20957

Re: DL to add new routes after agreement with ME3

Interesting article, although nothing specific. Seems like India NS from US might happen. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/14/delta-more-international-flights-coming-after-middle-east-airline-agreement.html?__source=yahoo%7Cfinance%7Cheadline%7Cstory%7C&par=yahoo&yptr=yahoo Absolutely nothing c...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Tue May 15, 2018 12:49 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Iberia year round to LAX and BOS.
Replies: 9
Views: 2274

Re: Iberia year round to LAX and BOS.

Also, it looks like the A340 will stay around for a while, allowing some expansion together with the A320 recently received (2 ex-Monarch A320, and an additional 2 A320-neo). On a related note, Iberia has opened a new round to recruit pilots. Those A346's will have to stay around, otherwise the num...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Mon May 14, 2018 7:32 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Boston aviation - 2018
Replies: 840
Views: 67896

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Delta's tactic so far of expanding rapidly in Boston has been very smart. They are leveraging mostly regional flying to add alot of destinations quickly with very little risk as far as filling large planes. Of course as routes mature they can get upgauged to larger aircraft. But for now the plan se...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Mon May 14, 2018 4:24 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: CAAC rolls out game-changing policies abandoning “One Route One Carrier” restriction in a gradual manner
Replies: 33
Views: 6008

Re: CAAC rolls out game-changing policies abandoning “One Route One Carrier” restriction in a gradual manner

Any thoughts? How would this be received by carriers, esp the Chinese ones? Who would benefit most from the changes as such? I've been under the believe that some China-U.S. routes operated by Chinese carriers only exist due to the various carriers trying to preempt each-other and thus operating th...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Mon May 14, 2018 4:18 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: AA kicks off 1st class pax for serving drinks to economy pax
Replies: 30
Views: 7604

Re: AA kicks off 1st class pax for serving drinks to economy pax

Regulation 14 CFR 121.575 declares: "No person may drink any alcoholic beverage aboard an aircraft unless the certificate holder operating the aircraft has served that beverage to him."

What if it's a "her" instead of "him"? :)

Jump to post
by airbazar
Fri May 11, 2018 8:39 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: U.S., UAE strike deal resolving contentious airline spat
Replies: 44
Views: 7073

Re: U.S., Emirates strike deal resolving contentious airline spat

According to the article, the deal was signed today. The 2 main points: - No further "planned" 5th freedom for EK &EY - EK &EY to allow voluntary access to financial reports https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2018/05/11/airline-battle-over-u-s-emirates-str...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Fri May 11, 2018 7:57 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: AUS astonishing LON growth market, surpasses several US markets
Replies: 56
Views: 9534

Re: AUS astonishing LON growth market, surpasses several US markets

It's almost shocking to see just how fast AUS-LON has grown. Here are the CAA numbers for March: http://www.caa.co.uk/uploadedFiles/CAA/Content/Standard_Content/Data_and_analysis/Datasets/Airport_stats/Airport_data_2018_03/Table_12_1_Intl_Air_Pax_Traffic_Route_Analysis.pdf Of course we'd have to wa...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Thu May 10, 2018 6:53 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Could ANC ever grow into a TPAC hub?
Replies: 38
Views: 3987

Re: Could ANC ever grow into a TPAC hub?

How is that different from any other US TPAC hub, except for the fact that clearing customs in ANC would probably be quicker than somewhere like LAX or SFO. It isn't but those hubs have a far greater percentage of O&D traffic while for ANC you'd have a far greater percentage of connecting passe...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Thu May 10, 2018 2:13 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Could ANC ever grow into a TPAC hub?
Replies: 38
Views: 3987

Re: Could ANC ever grow into a TPAC hub?

Bear with me. KEF has enjoyed huge success as a Trans-Atlantic connecting point between Europe and North America. WOW Air and Icelandair have grown exponentially in the last few years connecting people across the pond. Alaska may not be interested now, but after seeing the success that WOW and Icel...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Wed May 09, 2018 9:02 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Iran - Boeing deal
Replies: 188
Views: 22224

Re: Iran - Boeing deal

I don’t think Cuba was so broke for so long that they could never afford any Airbuses, or get any help from Europe financing the planes if nobody in Europe had issues selling them planes. Your second argument about Europe benefitting from Cuba not being able to develop a reliable airline can easily...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Wed May 09, 2018 5:28 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Iran - Boeing deal
Replies: 188
Views: 22224

Re: Iran - Boeing deal

Does it make sense for Europe to cut off many billions of dollars of trade with the U.S. to express their anger over several billion dollars worth of airplanes for Iran? It doesn't and they won't. However lets remember that the original sanctions were UN imposed while current sanctions will be U.S....

Jump to post
by airbazar
Wed May 09, 2018 5:17 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: JetBlue plans move of MEX slots from LAX to BOS&JFK
Replies: 31
Views: 3823

Re: JetBlue plans move of MEX slots from LAX to BOS&JFK

My opinion that a bloodbath is looming on BOS-MEX has nothing to do with the current situation on JFK-MEX Isn't some measurable service required in order to qualify anything as a bloodbath? Currently there is a grand total of 1 (ONE), less than daily flight between BOS and MEX. That leads me to bel...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Wed May 09, 2018 3:20 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Iran - Boeing deal
Replies: 188
Views: 22224

Re: Iran - Boeing deal

Does it make sense for Europe to cut off many billions of dollars of trade with the U.S. to express their anger over several billion dollars worth of airplanes for Iran? It doesn't and they won't. However lets remember that the original sanctions were UN imposed while current sanctions will be U.S....

Jump to post
by airbazar
Wed May 09, 2018 11:47 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Iran - Boeing deal
Replies: 188
Views: 22224

Re: Iran - Boeing deal

What this will do is create a backdoor market to sell used Airbuses to Iran like they were doing when the sanctions were still in place.

Jump to post
by airbazar
Wed May 09, 2018 11:30 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: TAP's first and only 320neo is not flying
Replies: 17
Views: 6019

Re: TAP's first and only 320neo is not flying

The aircraft was not originally destined for TAP and was reassigned by the lessor BOC during production. Thus was delivered all white. The new TAP Recaro slimline interior, introduced last year will be installed at LIS. It is interesting in that the first 10 rows have a "nicer" slimline s...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Tue May 08, 2018 6:38 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Boston aviation - 2018
Replies: 840
Views: 67896

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Didn't think B6 would go for BOS-MEX.... I wonder if there's a plan to feed their partners with it. Interesting considering AM is cutting capacity to below daily around then for B6 to enter. "JetBlue’s new service to Mexico City follows a decision by the U.S. Department of Transportation to re...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Tue May 08, 2018 6:31 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Paul Griffiths: LHR should open 24/7, not build another runway
Replies: 56
Views: 6355

Re: Paul Griffiths: LHR should open 24/7, not build another runway

Airports like HKG, SIN, DXB etc etc are able to have 24 hour operations because the countries they are located in have no democracy and as such any opposition is silenced or ignored. :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: This is by far o...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Tue May 08, 2018 12:57 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Paul Griffiths: LHR should open 24/7, not build another runway
Replies: 56
Views: 6355

Re: Paul Griffiths: LHR should open 24/7, not build another runway

Nobody flies in Europe in the middle of the night except cargo and cheap sun flights. There’s a reason for this. So is this a chicken and egg......my understanding is that the reason for this is because they passed laws, not because there was no need or demand..... Now I agree with a later poster w...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Tue May 08, 2018 11:31 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Paul Griffiths: LHR should open 24/7, not build another runway
Replies: 56
Views: 6355

Re: Paul Griffiths: LHR should open 24/7, not build another runway

If so, LHR should be another DXB-style hub that maximizes efficiency on two rwys only operating 7/24 LHR cannot ever be a DXB-style hub and lifting the night curfew won't do much for LHR because unlike DXB, LHR is predominantly a O&D airport (over 70% of LHR passengers are O&D). There are s...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Mon May 07, 2018 9:24 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Iberia year round to LAX and BOS.
Replies: 9
Views: 2274

Re: Iberia year round to LAX and BOS.

WingsOfLove wrote:
Kadish wrote:
they will opérate the route the whole year


IAG / AA increasing MAD TATL capacity to fight Norwegian?


Nah. Spain (and Portugal) are really hot items for American tourists right now. I think it's just IB/IAG seeing a clear opportunity to capitalize on that.

Jump to post
by airbazar
Mon May 07, 2018 7:24 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Bloomberg article: Watch Out, Airlines. High Speed Rail Now Rivals Flying on Key Routes
Replies: 239
Views: 18791

Re: Bloomberg article: Watch Out, Airlines. High Speed Rail Now Rivals Flying on Key Routes

Do you realize that plane tickets are cheaper than trains while more people take the train than planes? Plane cannot win over customers from the experience they provided, so the only way they can compete is to offer a lower price to undercut the train. Can you show me the stats that show more peopl...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Mon May 07, 2018 2:09 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Bloomberg article: Watch Out, Airlines. High Speed Rail Now Rivals Flying on Key Routes
Replies: 239
Views: 18791

Re: Bloomberg article: Watch Out, Airlines. High Speed Rail Now Rivals Flying on Key Routes

[/quote] You're kidding right? You know what else is subsidized? Every effing mile of road that you drive your gas guzzling SUV on![/quote] That's a pretty myopic statement. Yes it is subsidized but guess what, roads benefit 100% of the population. HSR only benefits a small subset of people who live...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Mon May 07, 2018 11:48 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Are there any A320NEOs flying transatlantic regularly?
Replies: 12
Views: 2130

Re: Are there any A320NEOs flying transatlantic regularly?

You might want to ask your friend how many 737NG's are currently flying TATL routes :) SK flew them to IAH. ;-) If you want to get silly, you could count BA's A318's too. You get me on "currently" but I think LH are going to start flying that same plane into EWR this summer. Haven't yet, ...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Sun May 06, 2018 8:38 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Bloomberg article: Watch Out, Airlines. High Speed Rail Now Rivals Flying on Key Routes
Replies: 239
Views: 18791

Re: Bloomberg article: Watch Out, Airlines. High Speed Rail Now Rivals Flying on Key Routes

It is interesting to see this discussion here. HSR is bashed by people who probably never saw it and never used it. It is like the blind discussing colours. :-) I've ridden the ICE between FRA and Munich for example. I don't bash it because I think it is an important component of transportation but...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Sun May 06, 2018 5:43 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Are there any A320NEOs flying transatlantic regularly?
Replies: 12
Views: 2130

Re: Are there any A320NEOs flying transatlantic regularly?

The reason you have more MAX's than NEO's (possibly?), is simply timing. The one airlines operating multiple TATL NB aircraft, DY is a Boeing customer. WOW has been flying TATL with non-NEO A321's for years. So if we count non-NEO's, you will see far more A321's since WOW flies multiple daily TATL r...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Sun May 06, 2018 3:13 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: LH Group - Why not operating all different group airlines under a single brand name?
Replies: 37
Views: 5940

Re: LH Group - Why not operating all different group airlines under a single brand name?

Ease up on the question, and the anti-US bit, ya? There's reasons why people (from anywhere) may wonder about this, while overlooking the strong reasons to maintain distinct identities. . They shouldn't because this practice is not limited to LH or Europe. You can find examples of multi-brand airli...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Sun May 06, 2018 1:05 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Azores Airlines' OAK Service 2018
Replies: 16
Views: 2989

Re: Azores Airlines' OAK Service 2018

Does anyone know how much tickets are and what day of the week these flights operate? Id love to try this out. I can't answer your question exactly but I can tell you that I live in "Boston" where we have S4 service year round, and I have taken them multiple times, and their TATL fares ar...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Sun May 06, 2018 12:53 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: LH Group - Why not operating all different group airlines under a single brand name?
Replies: 37
Views: 5940

Re: LH Group

Well, if people in Europe will get over their "national pride and enthusiasm" ... who knows if all LH Group airlines might be converted into some kind of Eurowings-Group, which would be a more 'neutral' name. It has nothing to do with national pride and enthusiasm. Each European country i...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Fri May 04, 2018 3:37 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: JetBlue to start BOS-MSP 3xday on May 3 2018
Replies: 119
Views: 13249

Re: JetBlue to start BOS-MSP 3xday on May 3 2018

In the next few years jetblue will fly to jfk, fll, MCO and ont from msp Can you also tell me who wins the Super Bowl next year? Give me a minute to get my bookie on the line. :D The Patriots of course :) Not even DL does MSP-FLL with more than 1 flight right now, and even DTW has 4 flights today t...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Thu May 03, 2018 7:56 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Japan Airlines To Miami By Next Year?
Replies: 51
Views: 5195

Re: Japan Airlines To Miami By Next Year?

Your argument falls apart a bit. the O/D between MIA and Sao Paulo is much larger than between DFW And MIA. Great, then nothing else matters so how is my argument falling apart? My assumption was that since there are multiple flights between DFW and NRT and none between MIA and NRT, that DFW-NRT wa...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Thu May 03, 2018 5:43 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Japan Airlines To Miami By Next Year?
Replies: 51
Views: 5195

Re: Japan Airlines To Miami By Next Year?

The concept that Miami is the gateway to Latin America is not much an argument for a Far East carrier. The major cities of Latin America can be reached 1-stop today via a host of means - be it via other North American cities, or the other way around via the Middle East for example.. By that logic t...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Thu May 03, 2018 1:05 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: AA Cracks Down on FA Trip Hoarding and Selling
Replies: 61
Views: 13085

Re: AA Cracks Down on FA Trip Hoarding and Selling

even though it plainly overstates the amount of cash tips because people always leave more on credit cards Is this true? That is not necessarily my experience, but I rarely use cash. I always leave more when tipping with a CC to account for the tax they have to pay on it. The assumption is that cas...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Thu May 03, 2018 12:55 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: 1st Int'l long haul Airline out of MKE?
Replies: 81
Views: 7502

Re: 1st Int'l long haul Airline out of MKE?

Okay here is my thinking. Its not going to be a passenger airline coming to MKE starting long haul service. Its going to be a cargo airline. EVA maybe? Why do I say this? Because 20 miles south they are building Foxconn to make TV's. I think when that gets built we are going to be seeing 777 freigh...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Thu May 03, 2018 12:34 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Japan Airlines To Miami By Next Year?
Replies: 51
Views: 5195

Re: Japan Airlines To Miami By Next Year?

With all due respect, MIA is mostly a tourism destination, how can a nonstop to Tokyo be justified? There are lots of excellent one-stop connections with a short stop that is almost exactly under the flight path, like Chicago. It seems to me that Airliners.net is full of threads discussing MIA to S...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Wed May 02, 2018 11:40 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: US Carriers in OPO
Replies: 31
Views: 3322

Re: US Carriers in OPO

People yes im a fanboy of OPO because i live 10 miles near it, and LIS because its the main airport in Portugal kkkkk. And i Know i say sometimes something that has no sense, but i m here to learn kkkkk. And is a free fórum kkkkk. You admit to sometimes saying something that has no sense so can you...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Wed May 02, 2018 11:33 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: AA Cracks Down on FA Trip Hoarding and Selling
Replies: 61
Views: 13085

Re: AA Cracks Down on FA Trip Hoarding and Selling

Jeez. Just when you thought the airline industry couldn't be any more screwed up this comes up. I don't work in the airlines industry (I just like airplanes), and I had no idea this was going on.

Jump to post
by airbazar
Wed May 02, 2018 10:56 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: 1st Int'l long haul Airline out of MKE?
Replies: 81
Views: 7502

Re: 1st Int'l long haul Airline out of MKE?

I’d guess none with ORD just down the road. I don't think the county would have approved $30 million for a new terminal if they didn't have someone in mind! Plus if it's a country with US pre-clearance they can go right to one of the other concourses until the new one is ready. $30 million is reall...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Wed May 02, 2018 7:35 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: US Carriers in OPO
Replies: 31
Views: 3322

Re: US Carriers in OPO

Among friends it seems like Portugal is the hot destination- I recall 10 years ago it was considered an inexpensive destination. I wish UA well on it, but I cannot imagine paying $7000 for Polaris on a 767 for such a short flight? Portugal is absolutely on fire right now. US visitors increased 30% ...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Wed May 02, 2018 1:38 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: US Carriers in OPO
Replies: 31
Views: 3322

Re: US Carriers in OPO

UA really needs to find a business cohort willing to pay a non-stop premium (vs. CDG/AMS (Amsterdam - The Netherlands) (Amsterdam - Schiphol)/LHR (London (Heathrow) - England) - (London - Heathrow) connections). Tourism isn't going to do it. Mediterranean winters suck. I mean, Delta has been operat...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Wed May 02, 2018 12:14 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Airline companies stare at a burning issue as fuel prices skyrocket
Replies: 54
Views: 9359

Re: Airline companies stare at a burning issue as fuel prices skyrocket

Fuel prices surged to multi-year highs in the domestic market, dragging the profits of airline companies https://news.alphastreet.com/airline-companies-stare-at-a-burning-issue-as-fuel-prices-skyrocket/ The potential damage to the sector from the rising fuel prices can be gauged from the downbeat o...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Wed May 02, 2018 12:50 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: US Carriers in OPO
Replies: 31
Views: 3322

Re: US Carriers in OPO

Next friday, UA Will start new seasonal route to OPO in EWR (if you like to follow the flight in FR24, the code is UA144 or UA145). If this route have sucess (that i think it Will be) what do you think that UA Will extend it all year and the other US Carriers (DL and AA) Will enter in that market a...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Tue May 01, 2018 5:22 pm
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: AR EZE- PUJ 737 MAX 8 longest commercial flight
Replies: 72
Views: 9468

Re: 737 MAX 8 longest commercial flight

496TFS wrote:
Great. Imagine the middle, 30 inch pitch seat for 7 1/2 hours? No thank you.

Too bad not one airline CEO has ever suffered in the back.


Seatguru lists the pitch at 32".

Jump to post
by airbazar
Tue May 01, 2018 11:53 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Boston aviation - 2018
Replies: 840
Views: 67896

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

While searching for flights to Portugal this Summer I noticed that TACV will be code-sharing with Azores Airlines. This is an interesting development in light of Icelandair potentially buying 49% of S4 and TACV, now managed by FI moving their hub from Praia to Sal.

Jump to post
by airbazar
Tue May 01, 2018 11:30 am
Forum: Civil Aviation
Topic: Airline companies stare at a burning issue as fuel prices skyrocket
Replies: 54
Views: 9359

Re: Airline companies stare at a burning issue as fuel prices skyrocket

Fuel prices surged to multi-year highs in the domestic market, dragging the profits of airline companies https://news.alphastreet.com/airline-companies-stare-at-a-burning-issue-as-fuel-prices-skyrocket/ The potential damage to the sector from the rising fuel prices can be gauged from the downbeat o...

Jump to post
by airbazar
Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:53 pm
Forum: Travel, Polls & Preferences
Topic: Seatguru SQ 78J 9 abreast at 19 inches?
Replies: 3
Views: 1336

Re: Seatguru SQ 78J 9 abreast at 19 inches?

817Dreamliiner wrote:
Seatguru is wrong. Singapore Airlines has said the seat width in economy is 18 inches at 9 abreast.

I didn't think you could have 18"-wide seats at 9 abreast. I'm pretty sure it's 17.5"

Jump to post